Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a magneto the only way to run without a battery? I am trying to plan my bike and it seems like that is the only way to do it. Are there any magnetos cheaper than the joe hunt magnetos? The bike is a 1968 Bonneville.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been researching the same for my 68 bonnie, and the only other brand of magneto that I can get any good feedback about is ARD. You can get them from Britcycle.com, and Wes, at fouracescycle.com hooked my buddy up with a remanned Hunt magneto for a good price. You can also get a smaller battery, the size of a coil, instead of eliminating the battery. That's what I'm leaning towards. It's round, so it's easily hideable, and it's still 12 volt, even though it is so small. You will have to run a good rectifier though. By the time all is said and done, it'll cost almost as much as a magneto setup. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
inkstained74 said:
I've been researching the same for my 68 bonnie, and the only other brand of magneto that I can get any good feedback about is ARD. You can get them from Britcycle.com, and Wes, at fouracescycle.com hooked my buddy up with a remanned Hunt magneto for a good price. You can also get a smaller battery, the size of a coil, instead of eliminating the battery. That's what I'm leaning towards. It's round, so it's easily hideable, and it's still 12 volt, even though it is so small. You will have to run a good rectifier though. By the time all is said and done, it'll cost almost as much as a magneto setup. Hope this helps.
I did the same on my trump- Joe Hunt for the plugs and Wes hooked
me up with a cool little regulator (Podtronics) from a guy in Texas.
This runs off the Stator, no rectifier, very simple hide it under the tank.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You can run the trump without a battery or magneto if you use a mity max--it serves as both a regulator/rectifier and as a capacitor.

CRAP said:
Is a magneto the only way to run without a battery? I am trying to plan my bike and it seems like that is the only way to do it. Are there any magnetos cheaper than the joe hunt magnetos? The bike is a 1968 Bonneville.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Boyer is what I am runnin with a power wheels style 12v battery.Starts first kick and all of it together was half of what a mag cost.I like the mags as fars looks and coolness but I also like my cash.Heres some pics of the setup on my current bike it small and clean and works.I am using harley coil and I fabbed boxes for boyer box and battery

Shoe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When I first bought my '68 it was set up like that. You can't run a boyer, you have to run points, because the capcitor in the mity max doesn't have enough juice to use a boyer. I had to kick the bike with the key in one position, then switch the key over to a different position once it started. The lights were kinda dim, but it ran fine. Sorry I can't get any more specific than that, but I tore the whole thing apart a few months after I got it and put in a boyer with a battery.

HeX said:
How's that work? I'd like to hear more........

I run a Hunt mag.........Wes hooked me up.........

Tim

·
Registered
944 Posts
Any Triumph (or most Britbikes) can be run in stock form (before they started doing factory electronic ignition) just by removing the battery. A capacator will help smooth the flicker of the lights at low rpm, but won't help much.

Of course it's better to dump the stock selenium rectifier and Zener diode and use a solid state replacement, such as the Typanium or Podtronics unit.

The old beezers used to have an 'emergency start' position on the ignition switch, all this did was take the (presumably dead) battery out of the circuit.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Englishman said:
Any Triumph (or most Britbikes) can be run in stock form (before they started doing factory electronic ignition) just by removing the battery. A capacator will help smooth the flicker of the lights at low rpm, but won't help much.

Of course it's better to dump the stock selenium rectifier and Zener diode and use a solid state replacement, such as the Typanium or Podtronics unit.

The old beezers used to have an 'emergency start' position on the ignition switch, all this did was take the (presumably dead) battery out of the circuit.
Sorry to hi-jack but, Englishman, did you ever get my e-mail...?

·
Registered
287 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
Boyer is what I am runnin with a power wheels style 12v battery.Starts first kick and all of it together was half of what a mag cost.I like the mags as fars looks and coolness but I also like my cash.Heres some pics of the setup on my current bike it small and clean and works.I am using harley coil and I fabbed boxes for boyer box and battery

Shoe
My 66 BSA runs a Boyer. I do have a small battery as well. Is your's a positive ground? What type of coild are you using? Is it a 3 ohm or 5 ohm unit?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
12v neg system switch all over and wired it all myself.I am using a stock harley coil a clack lookss like ceramic style.Not sure of the ohms I would have to look its been awhile since I bought all the stuff.I took one look at the god of darkness wiring when I got the bike and someone else had been choppin and cuttin on it felt like this is a chopper it only needs to have bare bones wiring anyhow.Simple wiring means simple fixes if trouble strikes up.
Shoe
hudsoncustom said:
My 66 BSA runs a Boyer. I do have a small battery as well. Is your's a positive ground? What type of coild are you using? Is it a 3 ohm or 5 ohm unit?

·
Registered
936 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:

Shoe
I've also heard of some guys using 12 volt vid cam batteries to stabilize the circuit.

I think cap and tymp, Podtron, or the Sparx are the way to go really. You can run two parallel capacitors to help even a little more with the lighting. A capacitor is nothing more than a time release battery really.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts