Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 78 bonnie has amal mk2's that are about a year and a half old. i am really beginning to hate them, they are a pain in the ass, and everything I've read on this forum regarding them seems to be of similar thought. is swapping to mikuni's worth it? will they be an upgrade or just another form of headache? i sometimes wonder if i should sell my bike and just by a modern day bonneville. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
It can join my oif family if your gettin rid of it

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a pair on my Triton and they have worked perfectly since I built the bike. What problems are you having?

·
Registered
967 Posts
never had trouble with properly set up Amals..?? if there right they will run excellent? are your slides worn out? what are they doin?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I have your motor. I put Mikuni 32 MM round slides on it. The bike fell flat on it's face when you touched the throttle. A friend of mine had a dyno and changed out my needles and jets for the needed sizes. It's been a year and a half now and i have not had to touch the carbs once. That's all i can tell you.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I like my Mikuni's, I have found them to be easy to tune.
there are many here that have had great luck Anals, they will be a lot of help if you stay with them.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Amal Mark II's come in two different flavors
1. they work well without any problems.
2. they are plug fowling turds.
Many people get rid of them especially if you have a set of the T140 "E" carbs that were jetted for emission standards and have always been a problem.
there are kits to change the "E" carbs to the type "D" carbs, but most all of the mark problems can be linked to leaking enricheners, check this by putting your finger over the small hole near the intake while it's running.

If you give up on the mark II's then you could go with Mikuni's or if you head has the screw in manifolds you could put Amal mark I carbs on it if you get a set of 1969 through 73 screw in intake manifolds with the carb flanges on them.
Here is a copy of a Triumph service bulletin for the mark II's...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The carbs are only a couple seasons old, so they're still very new. My biggest complaint with them is they seem really sensitive to outside temperature changes. I'll probably jsut keep them for now, I was really just curious about how Mikuni's behave on these bikes.

One other questsion though. Occasionally if I'm out riding and come to s stop, the bike sometimes will just stall out completely. It will fire right back up with one kick. I know my clutch is getting very worn, and when i come to a stop and hold the clutch lever in, the bike still seems like it wants to go. It's an extremely subtle feeling, but its definately evident. I'm thiking the bike will occasinally stall when I come to a stop because of the clutch, does this make sense?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you are supposed to go into neutral before you stop, and then when the light changes to green pull in the clutch and put it into 1st gear.
But it is also possable you need to do a propper clutch adjustment because the clutch sounds like it may not be dis-engauging completly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts