Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know Harley had made both straight-leg and wishbone rigids, but I'm really not familiar with all the details...like what year each was made...what was the last year of the rigid...did all the frames have the same rake and neck height? Any help is appreciated.

Cory

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Cory,
There are a LOT of variations of the Harley rigid frames, but the basics are: Knucklehead frame (U flatheads too) 1936-1947, Wishbone 1948-1954, Straightleg Pan Frame 1955-1957.

You can put a Knucklehead in a Pan frame without butchering it up, but you gotta do some serious torch work to put a Pan in a Knuck frame. Also I've seen original 55 Panheads in wishbone frames, so......

I;m sure you'll get more info on this.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cory, HD made their last rigid frames in '57. they were straight leg like Larry T said. you can tell the difference between the pan straight leg frame and a knuckle frame (also straight leg) by looking at the top motor mount. the pan has a sort of distorted gumby shaped mount with an elongated hole. the knuck has a straight tab with a smaller hole. also the the pan frame has a key lock in the neck area that you won't find on a knuck. cheers, dave

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dave says...
the knuck has a straight tab with a smaller hole. also the the pan frame has a key lock in the neck area that you won't find on a knuck...
HD has been using key lock neck since 1930...you may not find it on every model but the majority did in fact have a key lock...example Knucklehead Bullneck frame every model of them had a key lock...I agree with Larry on the differences and years of the frames also..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, fellas. Now, did they all have the same rake? What about the lines of the frame...looking from the side, did some look more 'stretched up' than others?

·
Registered
427 Posts
cory said:
Thanks for the info, fellas. Now, did they all have the same rake? What about the lines of the frame...looking from the side, did some look more 'stretched up' than others?
Not the same rake...Bullneck Knuckle was about 3 degrees more then the all the others...48 pan was also more in rake due to the continuence of the bullneck on the frame that is why they ran offset springers...visual wise those are the only 2 or 3 years difference in appearence of the frames other then the obvious difference with the wishbone downtubes....

·
Registered
182 Posts
in general, through the years the rake angle ranged from 28 to 30 degrees. the steering lock for OHV was introduced in '48 with the wishbone frame. i think the earlier flatheads (pre '36) had 'em but i've never seen a knuck frame with one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts