Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have an ironhead drum that I am about to lace to a 21 inch rim. I just bought the correct spokes and now i need a rim. the spokes call for a 21" drop center rim. I wanted a 1.85" rim but all I can find are Conventional 21" rims.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A narrow rim like that can be a little difficult to find. 'Conventional' is pretty much Drop Center these days-aftermarket rims like Akront or Morad, or Borrani's have a little shallower of a rise in the spoke nipple land-meaning you'd need longer spokes. 2.15" rims are of course about 1/4 to 3/8" wider overrall. If you're hellbend on having a 1.85 D.C. rim, they're out there-But the standard 2.15 HD 40 spoke rims are going to be your rim of choice if you want to use the spokes you currently have. Hope this helps.

If you need more help-like a pic, let me know.

Justen

·
Registered
223 Posts
That rim should work. It's probably a shitty-ish rim, but would work for what you're trying to do-no show piece for sure.

Just remember if the spokes are a tad long-they can be shortened beforehand, or you could grind them flush once you assemble the wheel, if that is how you go about it-just take your time, and as cheap as that rim may be-just before you put the rim strip over the nipples, rub some grease aroudn that lower portion of the rim, it'll help to keep it from rusting so bad overtime. just my .02

·
Registered
25 Posts
So TWH, it appears you do this stuff alot. I have a newer 21" rim, can I use these same spokes to lace up my sporty drum? Kinda concerned about the angle of the spokes at the dimples.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts