Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

Aside from the obvious and I missing anything here? I need some new frictions for my knuck. The 'correct' pack is out of stock in the places I've looked in the UK. the 'D' version it states is for use in the 68 tranny's and onwards? I've never dealt with a later tranny, but as far as I thought, except maybe an extra friction will these still not fit in my 40 tranny?

I don't want to order them if they're no good, but I'm a little short on options?

Any advice much appreciated.

Rhys

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
plenty of clutch plates available here in the UK if you look,
no need whatsoever to 'HAVE' to go to the US for them,
no, they dont sell them at Tesco's or Lidl's, but
Fred Warrs (the oldest Harley dealer in Europe) stocks them at Both their London Shops
so does
Searchresults - www.motorcyclestorehouse.com
&
W&W Cycles - Friction disc set »standard« (wwag.com)
&
Search: 10 results found for "alto* clutch* friction* plates*" — Hogparts UK

Hey Pete!

Sorry maybe I didn't word myself properly, I've seen the packs over here, I'm just confused why I can't use the "D" version for a 68 onwards tranny. The C version which is for earlier isn't in stock in the UK (trying to buy over here rather than get bent over from EU etc) I wanted to know if there's any diff or I can just use the later D version in mine?

Rhys

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C or D... C is 4, D is 5 friction plates...
Dan, That's all I wanted to know. I couldn't find detail if there was any difference or work needed to make them fit!

I'm ashamed to say I've had the same friction plates for 5 years!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
We use the red alto but the green also is fine but more money - but we remove the ball and springs from the steels if it has them - two things happen we can check for flatness and they do not stick in place

early clutch is different but not better that’s why they went to more of the same thickness discs and for went the 1/2 disc - we convert them all to the later you will need a couple steels

some hubs have thicker studs so it seems so if they drag when sliding them all the way in and out all of them we drill them with a W drill bit so no drag is felt - then we install a ram jet retained so the hub and drum do not separate and cause a clutch drag when the clutch is engaged - much better neutral when done on a lever bike for sure

Reactions: Drift

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We use the red alto but the green also is fine but more money - but we remove the ball and springs from the steels if it has them - two things happen we can check for flatness and they do not stick in place

early clutch is different but not better that’s why they went to more of the same thickness discs and for went the 1/2 disc - we convert them all to the later you will need a couple steels

some hubs have thicker studs so it seems so if they drag when sliding them all the way in and out all of them we drill them with a W drill bit so no drag is felt - then we install a ram jet retained so the hub and drum do not separate and cause a clutch drag when the clutch is engaged - much better neutral when done on a lever bike for sure

Thanks John, I've got a big bearing upgrade and a ram jet. The plates are very old! I've removed the balls of the steels. I'm getting clutch creep once there's some heat in them. steels are in great shape, so should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The creep is the the contamination in the paper the discs were made from

re use the steels as they are real steel and hardened unlike the stuff we get today

1 - 8 of 8 Posts