Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have searched a couple times and found nothing. and, yes, I realize that this is a bit more in line with later model bikes so if scorcher or the admin kill it i will understand.

i just picked up a superglide with adjustable shocks and front end. this might be the most asinine question but since i dont have a manual (and have never had a bike this new) i have to ask: how do you dial them in? just turn the dials/screws? do you go all the way one way, ride and adjust?

any help is appreciated. i'd rather look stupid than start twisting the fukrs without knowing the impact on the units.

thanks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
start in the middle of the range on one end. Ride it a bit, and flesh it out. Make small changes, and flesh it out again. One end is done, do the other the same way.

Start in the middle.....one end may be so drastic as to make the bike somewhat uncontrollable, and the oter may be so harsh that you hit a bump and become a midget.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The FXDX / T's have very similiar suspension to the Sportster Sports. The suspension system is just about the best forks/shocks ever used on a stock HD. The suspension tuning guide in the manual is like 10 pages long. I strongly suggest that you buy the manual, grab a friend, a measuring tape and a few hand tools. Its not that difficult but to get it tuned in exactly for your weight you will need two people to measure sag to get started. Dialed in perfectly a FXDX is the best handling Big Twin Harley ever made.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the above. yes, manual is on order. and yes, fxdx. good call on the middle. i'll take the advice from both of you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1st step is setting pre load on the fork and shock. This where u need a buddy to measure sag and adjust the pre load according to your weight.

2nd step is setting the fork and shock rebound and compression damping at the middle point.

Now start tuning the compression and rebound setting on the forks and shocks.

I have a lot of experience in suspension tuning from being a Special Test Rider for H-D, if u have any questions, contact me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks jjz. i'll give it a shot and pm if needed (or at least to let you know how it goes).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts