Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm real interested in the 45 Magnum conversion. Looking around using the search feature, it doesn't appear like a lot of us have attempted this one but maybe some Lurkers or new people will chime in.

Here's what I know so far:

1) It's an Ironhead Sportster top end on a Harley-Davidson W-series bottom. The conversion involves machine work and heli-arc welding.

2) It ends up producing a very light bike.

3) The Sportster top end tends to produce more power than the W bottom and early 3-speed can handle.

Here's what I like to know:

1) How exactly is it done? Clearly it's not a bolt-together, but is it something not to be attempted without years of welding and machining experience?

2) What capacity results? Maybe the same as the Sportster used?

3) Is there any way to beef the 45 bottom end so it will stand up to the power?

4) Are there any transmission options beyond the OE 3-speed? It would be nice to run a modern BT trans like the 5-in-a-4-kicker available now.

Hopefully this will spawn some interesting discussion. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
45's arent the bike to modify for speed......some may disagree, but that's how I feel about em. They are cool "as is", and if you want to cruise the xway all day, it can be done on a mildly modified original.....but, if you want more power, build a sportster.....:D

Bigcheese5300 said:
I'm real interested in the 45 Magnum conversion. Looking around using the search feature, it doesn't appear like a lot of us have attempted this one but maybe some Lurkers or new people will chime in.

Here's what I know so far:

1) It's an Ironhead Sportster top end on a Harley-Davidson W-series bottom. The conversion involves machine work and heli-arc welding.

2) It ends up producing a very light bike.

3) The Sportster top end tends to produce more power than the W bottom and early 3-speed can handle.

Here's what I like to know:

1) How exactly is it done? Clearly it's not a bolt-together, but is it something not to be attempted without years of welding and machining experience?

2) What capacity results? Maybe the same as the Sportster used?

3) Is there any way to beef the 45 bottom end so it will stand up to the power?

4) Are there any transmission options beyond the OE 3-speed? It would be nice to run a modern BT trans like the 5-in-a-4-kicker available now.

Hopefully this will spawn some interesting discussion. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hatch said:
but, if you want more power, build a sportster.....:D
Probably ought to. The thing is, whenever I start planning a Sportster build, I end up using so many 45 parts it seems silly not to be building a 45.

Picture this with a Sportster engine:

You're actually the first person I've talked to who says it's not suicide to consider riding a 45 in traffic - let alone the Expressway.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Heard of them for EVER,,and have been told there a waste of time,the bottom end,just is'nt desigend to take the abuse,would have to say if it were worth it there'd be more of them.Think they used some VW parts in the build as well
had the whole thing on how to at one point.Now the Panshovaknuckle aka "the 74" is a a pretty neat looking motor.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
And the guy who helped Randy with the 45 Magnum, and is in the middle of a project to restore all the engines in Randy's bikes right now, is this guy - Pat Leahy:
http://www.highgearmachine.com

Pat's shop was, and still is, about two blocks from the original Custom Cycle Engineering building in Long Beach. Pat was also standing right there when the immortal Randy 45 Magnum "lifting" picture was taken, too. That wasn't a faked photo!

Heden said:
Hi Its up to you if you will built a Magnum. I find those bikes a tru challence to built.The first to do it was Randy Smith.
http://www.randysmith.info/
You probebly need this also.
http://victorylibrary.com/45MAG.htm
And hopfully end up with this.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Irish Rich said:
And the guy who helped Randy with the 45 Magnum, and is in the middle of a project to restore all the engines in Randy's bikes right now, is this guy - Pat Leahy:
http://www.highgearmachine.com

Pat's shop was, and still is, about two blocks from the original Custom Cycle Engineering building in Long Beach. Pat was also standing right there when the immortal Randy 45 Magnum "lifting" picture was taken, too. That wasn't a faked photo!

that's sure kool to know, Rich, that Pat's in on bringing those great machines back ..

if I Ever get all the way to the left coast that's gonna be the first hand I shake ..

Thanks man ..

& R.I.P. Randy Smith ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Well Doug, if that's the case, I won't spoil it and tell you how they accomplished it.

You can ask Pat yourself when you get there, it's better when you hear it from him anyways. Especially when he starts laughing half way thru the story......

I'm in Long Beach Thursday. Frank Kaisler and I are going over to Pat's shop on Friday, to do a "Shop Crawl" article for Bike Works Magazine.

Watch for it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Call me a prude, if you will, but I don't get it. Randy Smith built the original Magnum when WL (WR in the Magnum) stuff was cheap and common. Unless you've already got your hands on an engine, why cut up parts that are no longer growing on trees? The Magnum filled a need with parts that you could easily get at the time. We now have access to better stuff that is far less rare and far more reliable. The original Magnum exploded, and a loss of that type would probably hurt a lot more these days. The idea and its creator were brilliant - don't get me wrong. I might just be a cheap (and poor) bastard, but I don't have spare 900 Sporty top ends or WL bottom ends gathering dust in my basement. Maybe we should be finding ways to use Randy Smith's type of thinking with current and available stuff. How? Beats the fuck out of me. I'm not that creative. There were ideas kicking around on the FHP forum about building a super-flathead using a Sportster bottom end with flathead industrial engine topends (take the Briggs out of your snowblower). That's the stuff I'm talking about.

Regardless, this bike is freakin' beautiful. On this bike, as well as his others, I really appreciate Randy Smith's use of functional components and function over form. Check out the front brake! The KR is also one of my all-time favorite bikes to look at.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sporticus said:
Call me a prude, if you will, but I don't get it. Randy Smith built the original Magnum when WL (WR in the Magnum) stuff was cheap and common. Unless you've already got your hands on an engine, why cut up parts that are no longer growing on trees? The Magnum filled a need with parts that you could easily get at the time. We now have access to better stuff that is far less rare and far more reliable. The original Magnum exploded, and a loss of that type would probably hurt a lot more these days. The idea and its creator were brilliant - don't get me wrong. I might just be a cheap (and poor) bastard, but I don't have spare 900 Sporty top ends or WL bottom ends gathering dust in my basement. Maybe we should be finding ways to use Randy Smith's type of thinking with current and available stuff. How? Beats the fuck out of me. I'm not that creative. There were ideas kicking around on the FHP forum about building a super-flathead using a Sportster bottom end with flathead industrial engine topends (take the Briggs out of your snowblower). That's the stuff I'm talking about.
The sad thing is this whole segment of the hobby both bikes and hot rods isn't about form over function speed any more. If it were we'd be hoping up and striping down used japanese sport bikes. Its form over function now...all done for the form of old time "function over form". Were into stylish oxymorons.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
[QUOTE=Sporticus why cut up parts that are no longer growing on trees?

Because its fun. And for the reliability thing well... not being reliable makes things more interesting :D

I dont think people could do that type of stuff anymore as its basically all been done to some extent thats not totally outlandish like v-rod heads on an evo sporty. I dont know anything about v rods or the practicality of it. just an example. what do i know:confused:

·
Registered
601 Posts
HOT.
There was a cat in Daly City who had one...and I rode one in El Cerrito, German dude, who inherited his German Auto shop from his pop, Wolfgang? Yeah, I think "Wolfgang" was the dude's name, wanted 6K complete....ran good.
I love that there are those wild enough to stick with a gnarly engineering deed like that...and ROLL 'em.
Good shit.
Look forward to your article Rich.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts