Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Anyone know how to do some DIY degalvanizing at home? I would like to weld on some galvanized tubing without the poisonous gas.
Best thing to do is get a facemask and vacuum hose, duct tape the two together. Remote respirator. Zinc is a resilient mother fucker. Only other possible way, without exposing yourself to other harmful vapors is sandblast the zinc off.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's looking like that's going to be the best answer. I just read somewhere that the surface should be clean 1 to 4 inches from the area of the weld. I'll proabably just go that route. Just wondering if there was something easier like an electrolitic muratic acid thinga' majig dip that might be less agressive than removing metal to prep for the weld.
salparadise said:
or use a grinder, with care.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the way I think I'm going to go. Grind and keep a fan close by. I'm going to have a glass of milk standing by also :D Got milk?

Since we're on the subject of galvanizing... can you prep and chrome galvanized steel like normal???
frank (aka cueball) said:
i always grind off the galvanizing & weld in front of a big shop fan to blow the fumes away.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I used to work in a sheet metal shop and we used Muratic Acid to remove the galvanize for soldered joints. BUT the fumes from that are really bad for you too. Like everyone else said; Big fans Lots of Ventilation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.