Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to thank everybody for talking back and forth about so many different bikes and styles because I've been torturing myself lately over which direction my current bike is going to go.

For those who don't know, the basic ride is a '66 BSA A65 Lightning that I got complete and nearly fully functional a few years ago. It has been on the back burner due first to divorce, then poverty, then riding stuff that was already ridable, then too busy, then poverty again (seeing a trend? LOL). I have gone back and forth between cafe, chop, and bob so many times it makes my head spin but a while back and especially due to helping some various buddies do some stuff with their brit bikes, I've finally been able to decide.

The newest Big Daddy Eric creation (like anyone has really been waiting for this announcement. :rolleyes: ) is gonna be my interpretation of Old School Cafe. It's gonna be as if someone planted a flagpole with a big ass Irish flag right in the parking lot of the Ace Cafe. :p :D And I want to do this soon so I can have it done and enjoy it before cafes become the 'new bobbers' thanks to people like all of us.

So the point behind all this going on is that I'll be bugging y'all for sources for weird shit that I'll need because I've sort of been a chop 'n' bop frame of mind for the last long while.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First, throw me some tire suggestions. What's out currently that is reasonably priced, or even cheap, that has the old school look with some good handling characteristics?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get married again... ;)

If I recall, cafe racers were big back in the early 90's. Remember that little single cylinder 500cc Honda? I wanted one of those bad, but I had a '85 Gpz 550 and that was all I could afford. Done the poverty thing, foodstamps (EBT card) & WIC really hurts a proud man, it made me humble.

·
Registered
936 Posts
BigDdy31 said:
First, throw me some tire suggestions. What's out currently that is reasonably priced, or even cheap, that has the old school look with some good handling characteristics?
The best I've heard for classic look, price, and handling are the Dunlop line of classic tires. I like Avons, but for look they're too modern.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ol_scratch said:
The best I've heard for classic look, price, and handling are the Dunlop line of classic tires. I like Avons, but for look they're too modern.
You can get the Avon speedmaster for the front and the safety milage for the rear just about as old school as you can get.

·
Registered
936 Posts
oldspeed said:
You can get the Avon speedmaster for the front and the safety milage for the rear just about as old school as you can get.
Didn't think about the Safety Mileage, foot inserted firmly in mouth.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oldspeed said:
Those are lookin' pretty good. Thanks for the tip. The Safety Mileage especially.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jabber said:
So do you want to take a look at thoose cafe' bars I told you I had.....
Yep. I was plannin' to hit you up for those the next time I saw you. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
El Caballo said:
Remember that little single cylinder 500cc Honda? I wanted one of those bad!
Ha Ha...the Honda Ascott. A buddy of mine had one of those. I rode it for a while, strange little machine for a Honda!! One of the mechanics I worked with at the Honda dealer back then had a hopped up one, his was kinda cool, but they weren't much to write home about stock!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
baytowngreaser said:
So are you saying I should just put my welding hood away? haha

Big daddy let me know if I can help you with anything.

Later
Eddie
Don't put that hood away just yet bro. I've got some ideas that might require your specialty. And I sure appreciate the offer of assistance. We'll have to have a few 'lonestar afternoons' on this bike after we get you and John all hooked up.

·
Registered
377 Posts
BigDdy31 said:
Don't put that hood away just yet bro. I've got some ideas that might require your specialty. And I sure appreciate the offer of assistance. We'll have to have a few 'lonestar afternoons' on this bike after we get you and John all hooked up.
I heard eddie can weld aluminum pretty good too. Hmmmmm.........
aluminum rear fairing/seat, and tank.....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jabber said:
I heard eddie can weld aluminum pretty good too. Hmmmmm.........
aluminum rear fairing/seat, and tank.....
I see we think alike.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright dammit, I don't rant much or at all but I have to when I do something stupid and it costs me.

So I put in a classified looking for a twin leading shoe setup for the Beeza cafe and a couple of guys were kind enough to give me some leads. In the mean time, I had found an entire front wheel, good spokes, nice rim, clean functional TLS steup, the whole nine yards. For only .99 cents on eBay. It stayed at .99 cents all week. We're talking $60-$80 bucks worth of wheel assembly. On Friday before I left work I swear I checked and it had two days + to go. Today, one of the ladies is checking our eBay and I asked about it, thinking that it would be up in price. But no, she tells me that it's already ended. And if I'm not already pissed enough...the price didn't go up. So some cat bought my wheel for .99 freakin' cents. And it's all my fault for being a dork and misreading the end time. I hate it when I'm stupid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts