Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of weeks ago I took a long weekend. On one of those days I rode up to the Glenn H. Curtiss Glenn H. Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY near lake Keuka then over to Finger Lakes Distilling Finger Lakes Distilling overlooking Lake Seneca.
It was the first day of a cold(ish) snap. I layered up thinking I was going to shed some layers. I never even peeled my jacket off except for a stop at a coffee shop on the way there. I'm a terrible navigator so after some bouncing around, I finally got to the museum, greeted by a prime example of the Curtiss legacy. He was an aviator, motorcycle racer and builder of both planes and bike. He was the fastest man in the world at 136.4mph on a V8 bike he built in 1907 and the first to fly with an audience, also in a machine of his own manufacture -- a truly innovative and often overlooked figure.
It's a great museum with bikes and planes of all manufacture from the turn of the century to the turn of the end of the era of British greats.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After poring over all those machines, I proceeded to the distillery, passing though Watkins Glenn and along some decent country to the east side of Lake Seneca. There's something special about riding between the vineyards with the smell of growing grapes filling your nose -- an experience a lot of people in their cages with the windows up were missing.
I turned off of the road following the lake onto a gravel drive with grapes growing on either side as I made my way to the distillery itself. It's a Barn-like structure styled after the older distilleries of Scotland, home of my favorite drams. After a tasting, I bought a bottle each of bourbon, rye, gin and pear brandy. That's the first rye I really liked...just a few short weeks later and there isn't much remaining. It's truly a craft distillery with an obsessive amount of attention paid to the details from ingredients to process and finished product. They use a still of their own design that was handcrafted in Germany. I can ogle a nice still just the same way as I do a fine example of old motorcycles.
That was as much as I could stuff into my messenger along with a couple T shirts to prevent breakage. I have no bags mounted to my bike. Next time I'll have had to remedy that situation -- or at least have a bigger bag.

After all that, it occurred to me I had forgotten to eat. I couldn't be bothered though. There was plenty of road, some scenery and a couple of great destinations. I gassed up and headed home to make some dinner and have a few drinks with my lovely wife. The ride home was nicer and warmer than the ride up but when you bail on work for motorcycles and whisky you don't complain about the weather.

·
Registered
380 Posts
dude that still looks like something that would be in willie wonkas factory if he made hooch

·
Registered
190 Posts
Disturber,

You are right about there being something special about the smell and the views.

Awesome, I am not the only one to enjoy the treasures of my area. Some awesome riding around here in the fall. The wife and I rode a couple hundred miles on friday and being from around here we never get tired of these things.

How about planning a Gypsy Run of sorts for the area?

I have not yet been to the Finger Lakes Distillery! Had not heard of it and now cant wait to go.

If your in the hood again get in touch

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Dead Pirate: I'd be the first one shot through a tube or dropped through a trap door for trying a taste at Willie Wonka's Whisky Factory.

Bikerbob: Getting up there was just enough to let me know I have to get up there some more. If you have any inside info on some good back roads, destinations whatever, shoot me a pm. I'd appreciate it...and yeah, It'd be a perfect area for a good mass run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.