Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Davida Classic and I love it. very classy if I do say....My question is as follows. along the brim there is black duct tape covering up the string threaded through the helmet. Its the thread for adjusting the fit. Am I supposed to remove it or leave it on to cover the threads???? Weird very weird??

·
Registered
936 Posts
Draglinkscc said:
Seems after looking closer at the picture thats how they are made
Yeah that tape is actually quite tough. And its how they were made before. Mines the same way. You can actually buy tape with different patterns if you want. I guess its for the ultra chic. :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
a lost cause said:
What's up with Davida Classics not being DOT approved? Is that it's not 3/4 or is there just no padding in them? $200+ for a shell seems steep.
The Classic helmet is basically a shell, lined with cork, straps of canvas, and some leather. They're made well and look very "cafe racer-ish" but don't offer much protection.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Draglinkscc said:
I just got my Davida Classic and I love it. very classy if I do say....My question is as follows. along the brim there is black duct tape covering up the string threaded through the helmet. Its the thread for adjusting the fit. Am I supposed to remove it or leave it on to cover the threads???? Weird very weird??
Hey, if you think Davida's sit to high on your head...and look kinda bozo clownyish',you're right! I got a couple Davida's, and I cutted the crossed straps on the inside..THEN they sit right on your head! try it...

·
Registered
936 Posts
a lost cause said:
Hot.

What's up with Davida Classics not being DOT approved? Is that it's not 3/4 or is there just no padding in them? $200+ for a shell seems steep.
Actually I prefer the strap retention to padding. Its not just a shell. It has to do with dynamic force dispersion, and the straps are pretty hefty. PLus it is cooler on the old noggin in the heat. I think the 3/4 principle is indeed the reason its not DOT, claiming that it doesn't protect the skull/ spinal area. Never mind the fact a 3/4 is more likely to snap a neck in whipping action, without added neck protection.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
ol_scratch said:
Yeah that tape is actually quite tough. And its how they were made before. Mines the same way. You can actually buy tape with different patterns if you want. I guess its for the ultra chic. :)
Yeah, I've got a Classic. They sell the checker tape but you could you could use colored duct tape for change.

The helmet is great but the aviator goggles let in too much air. http://www.davida.co.uk/aviator/index.html

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hey Mike....I'm almost afrain to ask but could you post a pic of the helmet...I dig those things.
One of these days I gotta get a digital camera again & post some pics of the wierd helmet collection I've got going.

Ahhh...checker tape.
When I was in junior high I order a bunch of rolls from some company in BMX Plus!
I had the coolest trapper-keeper in school!

:D
I think I still have some somewhere....

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
Richie said:
Hey Mike....I'm almost afrain to ask but could you post a pic of the helmet...I dig those things.
One of these days I gotta get a digital camera again & post some pics of the wierd helmet collection I've got going.

Ahhh...checker tape.
When I was in junior high I order a bunch of rolls from some company in BMX Plus!
I had the coolest trapper-keeper in school!

:D
I think I still have some somewhere....
Check this:
http://www.britishcycles.com/generic1.html
http://www.britishcycles.com/generic66.html

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thanks Mike!
I think I was picturing the "classic jet" I think its called.....
Nunyadambusiness...thanks for the link....I've seen that site a bunch....they do have some really cool stuff.
Its pricey but cool.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Richie said:
Thanks Mike!
I think I was picturing the "classic jet" I think its called.....
Nunyadambusiness...thanks for the link....I've seen that site a bunch....they do have some really cool stuff.
Its pricey but cool.
Pricey ain't the word - I thought they were too much a couple years ago when they were $100 cheaper - I got one anyway, but I don't think it looks quite right on my head - a bit tall. Might work with a brit bike or cafe racer, but not on my WL - I'll stick to my non-DOT approved beanie...

$230 is a shitload to pay for a non-legal helmet...

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
you would think the davida would be quieter with the big ol' leather ear flaps but mine catches air between the flap and my ear and howls loud as fuck, actually louder than a open air or a beanie. no like unless wearing plugs.

and thier goggles suck too...

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tom said:
you would think the davida would be quieter with the big ol' leather ear flaps but mine catches air between the flap and my ear and howls loud as fuck, actually louder than a open air or a beanie. no like unless wearing plugs.

and thier goggles suck too...
shit man I thought it was just me!! Im having such a hard time finding the proper helmet for ME!!
I keep going back to my sparkle blue Arthur Fulmer

1 - 20 of 30 Posts