Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of groups get together once a year for a meeting or socializing. I know there is a Shovelfest here in the U.S. Why don't the members of the JJ do the same? I recommend that we start (unofficially of course) by attending the best motorcycle swap meet in the United States, Davenport, Iowa. Next years theme is period correct bobbers and choppers. Just an idea. What do you think?

·
Banned
700 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hell i would go if i ever get this scoot done!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I go every year and have a wonderful time. Usually after the Davenport meet there are a bunch of pics on the JJ. People write and wish they had gone. I imagine most foam at the mouth. What I am is saying you have a year to plan for a vacation and save up some money for the trip and to buy parts. All over the U.S. Harley-Davidson has pin stops. Why not make Davenport a JJ stop?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Robert, Ill definitely go next year. I was planning on going this year but decided to stay home and work on the bike instead. My girlfriend has alot of family in Davenport.

·
Registered
45 Posts
more.....shoulda saw the Henderson actually being rode, it was awesome how good this bike runs for a 80 year old machine!
threw in some Cafes for a contrast......
Saw Frank Fritz from American Pickers there shootin the bull with friends.....

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. I was feeling guilty, I brought my camera and didn't take any photos. I highly suggest going Friday when all the vendors are still there and the races are not to be missed!! We rolled out Sat morning and the swap field was pretty thin, thanks to the rain moving in and all. Great time as always. I found a couple pieces for my triton

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Cotton, that was a great photo layout,,, looks like a great time to be had by all,,, I am a regular at Eustis, now NewSmyrna... Always a few deals if your there early & the usual guys that want 50% over ebay retail for there prize posession... But a ton of great people & a vast wealth of knowledge to be sought out by all.... Love the events,

·
Registered
32 Posts
My first year and I will go back. I understand some changes were made to
the Judging of bikes this year, that and the weather had an effect on Saturdays
Vendor retention. It was fun as we got there Wednesday night. Thursday and Friday are the DAYS to be there.

Made a lot of new friends, great people were there. Deals were to be had too.

I will check more thoroughly next year for a meet up somewhere there.

We did the National Motorcycle Museum too.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Folks,

Vendors ALWAYS started packing out Saturday morn,
as it is a three day weekend,
and the omitted AMCA judging has few merits left to warrant participation.

This is not the forum to discuss its merits, but I have no qualms to declare that AMCA "restoration" class rules have already destroyed tonnage more of historical hardware than it can ever preserve.

No more AMCA judging at Davenport is a good thing for vintage motorcycling of all marques.

....Cotten

·
Banned
700 Posts
Cotton, that was a great photo layout,,, ,
Slim!

Those are Choprod's pics..
I wuz busy.

I also regret that a neighboring vendor parked his truck and trailer in the meeting spot.
Two requests to move weren't enough.

...Cotten
PS: Why is my word "truck" now a live link spam advertisement?
Log off and see.

My words should be my words only.
That's the foundation of the 1st Amendment, let it not be taken from behind.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My 15th year going, always a great time, and I always find more treasures. The usual down to Conesville, got missed to help with a break down of my sons friend sat morning.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts