Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ride 10 miles on interstate 70 to get to town and then through town to work every day.

this morning i was about a mile from the exit where i usually get gas in the harley (we only have two stations in columbia that have 93 octane) when it spit and sputtered a couple of times. no prob, right? i reach down to turn the petcock to reserve. IT'S ALREADY ON RESERVE!!! holy shit batman, what am i gonna do now??? i know from experience that from the time it sputters the first time i've got about a mile to go before i'm walking. so i slowly accelerate down the hill and cruise up the next hill. veer off on the exit and pull the clutch when i think i'll be able to coast all the way to the stop light. get to the top and nothing's coming from the left. coast around the corner to the right. engine has died half way up the ramp anyway. it's a couple of hundred yards to the BP station that has 93. but there's a conoco right on the corner that has 91. do i take the sure 91 or try to coast to the BP? i pop the clutch once just in case there is a drop or two left in the tank that wouldn't run down the fuel line when i was coasting up the ramp. FIRE! it catches just long enough to accelerate a bit and allow me to coast the rest of the way to the BP. WHEW!!! 5.130 gallons fit into the 5 gallon tank.

moral of the story: ALWAYS make sure the petcock is turned back down EVERY time you fill up!

i think i'm gonna tape a note on the inside of the windshield that says "turn the petcock down, DUMMY!"

do as i say; not as i do...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Every once in a while you get Lucky. Buy a Lotto Ticket. I usually run out with a station about a mile in either direction, uphill each way, in the rain, at night, on a date, ect, ect.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
maybe you should have turn the petcock OFF the last time you road it? Thats what Im told by everyone.....if it was off you would have turned it down. instead you left it on and forgot it was already on reserve?? shit I dont know but good story

·
Registered
504 Posts
can i ask a dumb question.?

how is it that someone knows exactly what octane to run in their bike?

just asking so i know what to run in my norton.

or are you just trying to get the highest possible octane

·
Registered
583 Posts
Here's how we handle running out. The "Gas Cap of Shame" it fits my old harley and the wifes Triumph, we ride a lot and whoever runs out has to run the gas cap for a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Run the highest octane available. (usually 93) Set your timing just below spark knock with that octane and you'll be safe. Then find out what brand and octane your bike likes best and try to keep it happy. My 56 pan/shovle just loves Gas! It doesn't seem to matter what kind or grade with the exception of the winter blend some stations have around here. It's 10% ethanol and Rat just doesn't like his gas cut.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Draglinkscc said:
maybe you should have turn the petcock OFF the last time you road it? Thats what Im told by everyone.....if it was off you would have turned it down. instead you left it on and forgot it was already on reserve?? shit I dont know but good story
my old harley and my bsa you have to turn the gas off when you put it up, but this newfangledthing (2000 FLHSTC) has a solenoid built in that turns off the gas when you turn the key off. just one more thnig to go wrong some day, but it's there so why argue with it?

on the octane deal, the bsa will run on about anything, but both harleys need the highest i can find; especially when it's hot outside. they ping and knock with less than 93 when it's hot and less than 91 when it's less than about 70 degrees outside.

around here BP has the only 93, but my wife is from the chicago area and about all the stations up there have 93.

i like the "Gas Cap of Shame"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts