Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what's on my bike as I got it as an engine in frame.

First off, 1974 Sportster, electric start, points ignition. I have a few questions, pardon my ignorance as this is my first American motorbike.

1. What is this in the pics?
a. Is this a stock generator with Cycle Electric end cap regulator? or
b. Is this a Cycle Electric Generator with Cycle Electric Regulator?

2. The instruction sheet on Cycle Electric's website say not to mount upside down, in ALL CAPS, lol. The one on my bike is upside down. What does this mean to me?

3. This has two terminals, B and L. How do I wire?
a. Instruction sheet on C.E. site says B terminal direct to battery. Do I not need to go from the gen to key switch batt terminal to batt?
b. The instructions for the L terminal don't make a lot of sense to me. Can you help explain?

4. The bike came with a small voltage regulator and a big car type. Pics from previous owner seem to suggest one or both of these were mounted. Don't know why. Previous owner took running bike apart to chop it. I got it from a buddy who got it from previous owner as engine in frame only, can't contact previous owner.
a. Do I need either of these regs?
b. If so, which one?

I'm finished with my build and at the point of wiring the bike from scratch using this Easy Rider diagram (minus the horn and associated wiring).

Also, any tips for all wire sizes in the above diagram are appreciated. I was going to pretty much copy wire sizes in my pickup with generator and points with a new stock type replacement wiring harness. Thoughts on wire sizes?

This is the last step before I can crack this thing off and roll. Just a bit confused about what I've got and what to do. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
179 Posts
It depends on how good the wire you buy is. The crap from napa etc needs to be up sized to carry the load meaning I'd wire mainly with 12-14 gage wire for things like headlights, coil, tail lights.

You have a gen with regulator on the end of it, probably the full cycle electric kit.

The L tab on the genny is for an indicator light on your dash, I'm not sure if it lots up if the gen dies or if it lights up when it's charging... Use the B tab as the power lead and yeah it should run to your switch if you're using the standard Harley style switch.

Biggest advice is to use lots of shrink wrap to weather proof and do as few breaks in the harness to avoid problems. I'm just around the corner from you, I'd be happy to show you a few tricks. I just finished a full rewire of my evo chopper.

Brandon

G

·
Looks like an add reg for the stock 65-A gen..

Reason for me to say this is that band clamp around the gen is stock for most all the 65-A gens...Karl's (CE) gens didn't have that...

The L is for the light....It goes to ground...In other words the light has a + feed all the time (With switch on). If the gen does not charge, it will close the loop by grounding the other side of the light and will light up the dash light..

Also ...The CE gens have two sets of mounting holes to mount it onto the motor...
One set is for the Sportsters and the other is for the Big Twins..

This allows for the fins on the reg to be parallel with the ground or the frame of the bike...Just for looks.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends on how good the wire you buy is. The crap from napa etc needs to be up sized to carry the load meaning I'd wire mainly with 12-14 gage wire for things like headlights, coil, tail lights.

You have a gen with regulator on the end of it, probably the full cycle electric kit.

The L tab on the genny is for an indicator light on your dash, I'm not sure if it lots up if the gen dies or if it lights up when it's charging... Use the B tab as the power lead and yeah it should run to your switch if you're using the standard Harley style switch.

Biggest advice is to use lots of shrink wrap to weather proof and do as few breaks in the harness to avoid problems. I'm just around the corner from you, I'd be happy to show you a few tricks. I just finished a full rewire of my evo chopper.

Brandon
Thanks for the offer Brandon. Come on down to Concord. I'm always down to learn. I did a full rewire on my pickup, my first full rewire job. It was easy as I had a stock type replacement harness, although there were a couple of hiccups due to a non stock Cadillac engine being swapped in. I've never wired a bike, and this is my first hd, so I'm a bit unfamiliar with what's outside the factory shop manual.

PM me if you want to come in the next week or so.

Dragstews said:

Reason for me to say this is that band clamp around the gen is stock for most all the 65-A gens...Karl's (CE) gens didn't have that...

The L is for the light....It goes to ground...In other words the light has a + feed all the time (With switch on). If the gen does not charge, it will close the loop by grounding the other side of the light and will light up the dash light..

Also ...The CE gens have two sets of mounting holes to mount it onto the motor...

This allows for the fins on the reg to be parallel with the ground or the frame of the bike...Just for looks.
Thanks for the info Dragstews. Do I need a wire going from L to ground or no wire leaving the L terminal?

With regards to the mounting, the instruction sheet says in all caps DO NOT MOUNT UPSIDE DOWN. Mine appears to be upside down. What are the consequences of this? Should I clock it 180*?

Old pics I found of the bike running look like it has TWO conventional box type voltage regulators mounted. Parts lot I got with the bike included two regulators, look the same as the photo below. It's hard to see in these pics, but they appear to be there. Small chrome one just behind the oil tank on the near side, and larger black one just behind that on the other side.

Look closely...

Why in the world would there be THREE voltage regulators???????

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm gonna vote that is 1b, full cycle electric setup.

My 65A genny has two terminals right on top labeled A and F. I don't see any terminals on that genny, just the two on the regulator?

Having three regulators seems odd. lol. I have 3, but only ever had one mounted at a time. lol.

Sounds like you got your wire sizes figured out.

Nice looking bike!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna vote that is 1b, full cycle electric setup.

My 65A genny has two terminals right on top labeled A and F. I don't see any terminals on that genny, just the two on the regulator?

Having three regulators seems odd. lol. I have 3, but only ever had one mounted at a time. lol.

Sounds like you got your wire sizes figured out.

Nice looking bike!
Thanks. And you're right, no other terminals on the generator, just the B and L.

Bike doesn't look like that exactly now. I got it as a frame and engine and did this to it.

Now, there is a Paughco springer instead of DNA. I narrowed a different set of apes by six inches. Now running a 21" spool front instead of disc. Alien tank in place of mustang. High mid controls now vs. stock. Different lights. Speedmaster front and Goodyear rear instead of modern looking tires before. Different seat and triumph rear fender instead of trailer fender. Same oil tank though, lol.

I plan on cutting up the pipes to look something like this, maybe with some tight little turnouts.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

My CycleElectric setup has the band AND the 2 sets of mounting holes on the face of it. I am not sure if they changed it since i bought mine from another guy who got it from a friends sisters second cousin by marriage. :D The box is a full size one with CycleElectric markings so I am pretty sure it is legit(Ish)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It very well may be a full-on CE gen....

Could give the guy that makes them a call...
Very friendly fellow....."Karl" ....He will address all your question with knowledgeable answers.

http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/
I called him. He said without a charging warning light, nothing should run from the L terminal. He also said he had no idea why there would be three regulators unless someone was using them as a junction block of some kind. So that part is still a mystery I guess.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Three regulators, tells me, that someone did not know how to hook up the CE genny and regulator, and was going to try to mount a manual reg, which ever one they could find a place to mount. Or leftover from the original genny, and hoping you would be a packrat too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts