Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the flange on my Shovel with the CV Performance flange adapter and have searched for something to tell me whether or not I still need a clamp. Carb keeps popping off the manifold when I kick it (backfire). May or may not help with that, but it's ruined the setup I now have. The CV Performance adapter looks more forgiving. Probably nee a better mount as well as a bit of timing...
Older posts have some info, but not about the clamps. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
261 Posts
you press the carb into the flange with an o-ring , i think you need a bracket to keep the carb in that position.
some guy in the netherlands provide flanges which are with a tight press fit on the carb and jbweld instead of the o-ring. that seems a better solution to me!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I have something similar on PWK/KEIHN carbs on my triumph these are jb welded on
All Good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it all pushed together today and was quite impressed by how well it sealed as is. Guess I got used to the old set-up just kinda wobbling around. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Have one that should be delivered tomorrow (6/2/22) that mounts between the cylinders on the bottom, but I'm probably going to also keep the one that mounts on the head as well.
View attachment 274121
That lower bracket looks to me like guaranteed failure if you actually intend to ride the bike on a regular basis. It looks like there isn't enough metal in that bracket to actually support the weight of the carb, and the long distance and 2 bends between mount points will most likely cause it to vibrate and break from its own weight in pretty short order. I've run a support to that center case bolt before, but it ran straight up and attached to one of the carb mount bolts with no real bends. Still had issues with that set up. Much better to support the carb to the heads with brackets that mimic the Evo mounts (also seen in that picture).

·
Registered
261 Posts
exactly , that bracket makes the carb pivot away from the manifold, with a pivot point above the carb it always moves towards the manifold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That lower bracket looks to me like guaranteed failure if you actually intend to ride the bike on a regular basis. It looks like there isn't enough metal in that bracket to actually support the weight of the carb, and the long distance and 2 bends between mount points will most likely cause it to vibrate and break from its own weight in pretty short order. I've run a support to that center case bolt before, but it ran straight up and attached to one of the carb mount bolts with no real bends. Still had issues with that set up. Much better to support the carb to the heads with brackets that mimic the Evo mounts (also seen in that picture).
Did consider that, but thought I'd give it a try. Keeping the top bracket as well though. Been running this carb for several years now only with some adjustment issues that finally smoothed out. This carb popping completely off the bike is fairly recent.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have one of the press/JBweld flanges like the one in Dutch's post and a Gas Box support running up from a case bolt to the flange bolt. Been running it on a Shovel rigid for about 6 years... zero issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one of the press/JBweld flanges like the one in Dutch's post and a Gas Box support running up from a case bolt to the flange bolt. Been running it on a Shovel rigid for about 6 years... zero issues.
Got it all switched out and quite pleased with the fit. Wasn't sure about a rubber fitting without a clamp, but now pretty impressed. More solid than it's been since I started running the CV. And no air leak!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts