Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Branch Manifold a few months back and never got around to confirming the fit and today I find out that the opening is way to big to mount the carb to the branch. Person I bought it from stated it would mount but doesnt. Cant dread over the past so Im back at square one.

Does anyone know where I can get the correct branch manifold for my build? Second does anyone know anything on the press on flanges? From my understanding they press onto the CV Carb and mounts to the exisiting Ironhead manifold.

Now as for the CV Carb does anyone know what jets, springs or additional things I need for the setup?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Johnny

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Get the press on one from the guy on Evillbay, you use JB weld and press it on, uses the stock intake, with phenolick spacer, lots of info on jetting.....Roach.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the press on one from the guy on Evillbay, you use JB weld and press it on, uses the stock intake, with phenolick spacer, lots of info on jetting.....Roach.
Evillbay Im assuming you mean eGay? Yea I saw those just want to know if they hold up well. As for the spacer your talking about where would I go about getting something like that?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've put >90K miles on the press on adapter I bought of eBay. The guy I bought from is name "machinist" or something like that. Don't waste your money on the adapter that has the o-ring. Pain in the ass to find the o-ring when you need it. Much easier just to use a standard carb gasket.

For jetting, start with a 48 slow jet and a 180 or 185 main. That should get you in the ballpark.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Ok thats to my computor hook up my reply was lost, yes that one that you Epoxy on, had one on my shovel...worked great!!! Make sure you suport the carb by the intake to the cases, and you can get the phenolick spacer from Vtwinn or J&P.....Keeps the heat away from the carb.....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks for the replies. I was doing some thinking and searching and was wondering since I already have the Branch manifold which is a bigger than the CV dont they have spigot boot/seal's I can purchase to get them to mount up? Something like a step boot/seal? They got to have something like that?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
It will not work like you think, the vac will not be good, works ok the other way, big to small....Roach.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whats the standard size for a CV carb opening? The one I got is a 46mm opening is that standard? Also measured the Branch to carb and got 56mm. The mikuni carb that was on it mounted right up to it. What bike could this have ben off of? Im being told the Mikuni is a VM 44mm.

·
Registered
508 Posts
just put a stock or s&S INTAKE ON IT WITH A 40MM MIKUNI RUBBER FLANGE STYLE INTAKE ...WILL BOLT RIGHT UP. THYRE LIKE 20.00 FROM JP. PROBABLY HALF THAT ELSWARE. JB WWELD IS GOOD FOR LEARNING HOW TO PUT YOUR CARB ON, HOLD IT WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND WHILE KCKING THE BIKE OVER, THEN RIDING WITH YOUR LEFT HAND HOLDING THE CARB ON WHILE HAVING NO REGARD FOR CLUTCH, OR BRAKES.OR TRAFIC..IVE BEEN RUNNING THE SPIGOT MOUNT INTAKE WITH NO CARB SUPPORT FOR LIKE 4 YEARS.AND ONE HOSE CLAMP POPS THE CARB OFF FOR JETTING. THIS IS PROBABLY THE ONLY THING THAT HASNT FALLLEN OFF AT HIGH SPEED.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't know if Branch made more than one size manifold, but mine fits great. I'll check my boot tommorow and see if I can get a fix on where it came from or how to get one.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just put a stock or s&S INTAKE ON IT WITH A 40MM MIKUNI RUBBER FLANGE STYLE INTAKE ...WILL BOLT RIGHT UP. THYRE LIKE 20.00 FROM JP. PROBABLY HALF THAT ELSWARE. JB WWELD IS GOOD FOR LEARNING HOW TO PUT YOUR CARB ON, HOLD IT WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND WHILE KCKING THE BIKE OVER, THEN RIDING WITH YOUR LEFT HAND HOLDING THE CARB ON WHILE HAVING NO REGARD FOR CLUTCH, OR BRAKES.OR TRAFIC..IVE BEEN RUNNING THE SPIGOT MOUNT INTAKE WITH NO CARB SUPPORT FOR LIKE 4 YEARS.AND ONE HOSE CLAMP POPS THE CARB OFF FOR JETTING. THIS IS PROBABLY THE ONLY THING THAT HASNT FALLLEN OFF AT HIGH SPEED.
thanks for the posting but since I have the CV Carb already I would really like to deal with what I currently have than to go out and buy another carb. Ideally I would like to use the branch that I have and get a new boot if possible than to go out and buy another press on flange but Im open to opinions to get this damn thing on the bike!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know if Branch made more than one size manifold, but mine fits great. I'll check my boot tommorow and see if I can get a fix on where it came from or how to get one.
If you cant confirm that Branch made one size and that its the boots that are needed to get it mounted Im all ears! Can you take some measurements of where the branch and carb connect. Also the CV Carb size as well. And if you can tell me where you got the spigot boot to attach the two that would be great.

What I got measurements wise. 46mm Opening on CV Carb to Manifold. 56mm from Branch to Carb. Here's a picture of the Branch.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
no man, i mean use a stock type 2 bolt intake with a mikuni flange/rubber intake to cv carb..it costs less than the gay press on adaptor..which is for a stock type intake anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am running a CV with the two bolt flange rubber boot. I have had no problems with it. It bolted right up to my stock manifold and like stated earlier one hose clamp and the carb is off in your hand, if you aren't running a support bracket. JB weld is not for use around carb connections. I bought all my stuff from a local shop. It was all take-offs.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
You still need a carb suport no mater what, helps the intake to stay seald without overtighting them.....

·
Registered
508 Posts
i like to make suppports from the jug to the lower intake..much cleaner and dont afffect carb/air filter removal. also like roach says avoids costly 7000rpm leanouts when the intake shakes loose.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the stock intake manifold with a CV adapter on my Ironhead. Best thing I ever did for it. It's the one that epoxy's on. Mine is the "Craigs" adapter bought off E bay. The ones I've seen with the rubber collar stick out further on the bike and hit your leg. As suggested above you need to support whatever you use. CV is the bomb on the Ironhead.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no man, i mean use a stock type 2 bolt intake with a mikuni flange/rubber intake to cv carb..it costs less than the gay press on adaptor..which is for a stock type intake anyway.
Sorry didnt catch that until reading your post again.

I am running a CV with the two bolt flange rubber boot. I have had no problems with it. It bolted right up to my stock manifold and like stated earlier one hose clamp and the carb is off in your hand, if you aren't running a support bracket. JB weld is not for use around carb connections. I bought all my stuff from a local shop. It was all take-offs.
Yup mounting bracket is going on for sure.

You still need a carb suport no mater what, helps the intake to stay seald without overtighting them.....
Good point!

i like to make suppports from the jug to the lower intake..much cleaner and dont afffect carb/air filter removal. also like roach says avoids costly 7000rpm leanouts when the intake shakes loose.
Any examples of location where your talking about?

I have the stock intake manifold with a CV adapter on my Ironhead. Best thing I ever did for it. It's the one that epoxy's on. Mine is the "Craigs" adapter bought off E bay. The ones I've seen with the rubber collar stick out further on the bike and hit your leg. As suggested above you need to support whatever you use. CV is the bomb on the Ironhead.
Yea I have a Mikuni VM carb but Im going to end up offing that and keeping the CV. Less headache from what I hear!

·
Registered
508 Posts

here you go...can also make a straight one down to thecase bolt between the jugs.. dont have room on this one because the bolt is notched for sleeve clearence..but you get the idea

1 - 20 of 23 Posts