Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so recently i asked you guys about cutting my old fat bobs up to make a single tank for the bsa. y'all said it's done all the time and that they are called axed h-d tanks. great so far.

now the question: other than rinsing the sh*t outta them with soap/water, what do i do to keep them from blowing up when i cut into them? rinse with something other than water? run an air hose into it blowing air while i cut? lawn mower exhaust into it? something else? nothing?

and how should i do the cutting; sabre saw? wafer disk/cut off wheels on electric grinder? wafer disk/cut off wheels on air grinder? plasma cutter?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I've heard this one also. Really 30-minutes though???? That seems like a long time.

Paging Irish Rich! If you're viewing, what input do you have? I thought I heard you mention somewhere one time that this exhaust fume displacement method works. I could be wrong though...
hatch said:
The proper way is to steam it.....If you don't have a friend at the local radiator shop to do it, hook a tube from the exhaust pipe of your car into the tank...let the car run for 30 minutes.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've done the car exhaust deal on plenty of tanks before welding or cutting. I let the exhaust blow in the fill hole and out of the petcock hole untill i see condensation forming on the inside of the tank....

Billdozer1811 said:
I just put a water hose in and let the thing run in a flower bed for ten minutes or so. Never had a problem. Killing it with exhaust is a pretty accepted backyard method, though I've never used it.

-Bill

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
hatch said:
hook a tube from the exhaust pipe of your car into the tank...let the car run for 30 minutes.
just make sure you do this with the garage door OPEN!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Go the exhaust pipe route for about 5 mins. (yeah, 5 mins.) in a VENTILATED area. No need to soap and water, the carbon monixide exhaust neutralizes the gas/fumes.

To test, light a match to see if you got all the fumes out... or not.

MC

·
Registered
107 Posts
atch said:
so recently i asked you guys about cutting my old fat bobs up to make a single tank for the bsa. y'all said it's done all the time and that they are called axed h-d tanks. great so far.

now the question: other than rinsing the sh*t outta them with soap/water, what do i do to keep them from blowing up when i cut into them? rinse with something other than water? run an air hose into it blowing air while i cut? lawn mower exhaust into it? something else? nothing?

and how should i do the cutting; sabre saw? wafer disk/cut off wheels on electric grinder? wafer disk/cut off wheels on air grinder? plasma cutter?
I,VE ALWAYS WASHED MY TANKS WITH LESTOIL BRAND HOUSEHOLD CLEANER-NEVER HAD A PROBLEM=REMEMBER IS YOU CAN SMELL FUEL THERE IS FUEL=IT USUALLY TAKES 3-4 HOT WATER AND LESTOIL WASHED THEN I RINSE IT WITH WATER TILL ODOR FREE=CHEIF

·
Registered
845 Posts
atch said:
I use a cut off wheel in my electric angle grinder. The heat warpage is pretty minimum if you keep moving and not cut too slow. Bad part is that making tight curves is difficult.

·
Registered
186 Posts
DrDano said:
I use a cut off wheel in my electric angle grinder. The heat warpage is pretty minimum if you keep moving and not cut too slow. Bad part is that making tight curves is difficult.
What kind of adapter do you use to mount a cut off wheel in an angle grinder? I always see people cutting with 'em but haven't seen how they mounted the wheel. I usually stick an abrasive cut off weel in a skill saw (the type used for wood), the guard makes me feel safe. Then use a die grider with a cut off wheel for tight spots.

-Jeff

·
Registered
338 Posts
I use no adapter, just shim up behind the wheel and use the same mount used for the grinder wheel. I'm sure they sell an adapter of some kind, it should be right next to the cut off wheels at the hardware store.
Nimrod said:
What kind of adapter do you use to mount a cut off wheel in an angle grinder? I always see people cutting with 'em but haven't seen how they mounted the wheel. I usually stick an abrasive cut off weel in a skill saw (the type used for wood), the guard makes me feel safe. Then use a die grider with a cut off wheel for tight spots.

-Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts