Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A wee while back, probably 12-13 years ago now, I had a biltwell helmet painted by a chap who went by the name 'Old School Helmets'. It has served me well but I'm getting a new helmet and I want it painted the same... I've searched the internet, and this forum, he hasn't been on here in nearly 10 years so I don't expect him to answer a PM. Does anyone know if he is still around, or someone that does equally good work?
Thing is, I'm not in the US, so I'll need to ship a helmet from lowbrow to the painter, and then on to me.
Any recommendations, fellows?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I know a girl in Italy
And she can probably source you a helmet

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
1. Might help you get help if you specify what sort of painter you're looking for. A pinstriper? Graphic-arts person? Or "just" a top-notch gun painter?

2. What distinguishes a helmet painter from generalists who are competent in the style you want?

3. I'd guess (but don't know) that somebody at Lowbrow could recommend a painter. No?

4. As many Australian-built bikes and Australian builders as I see on the JJ, it would seem at least somewhat straightforward to find a great helmet painter on your home ground. Then you could communicate more readily; breathe down the painter's neck to ensure you get exactly what you want; remonstrate (or repo the helmet) if the painter doesn't get around to your helmet for months or years; et cetera.

Hope you find what you're looking for. If [4] doesn't work for you, I'd try [3] as a first resort.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was kind of hoping somebody knew of the Old School Helmets guy and if he was still in business and how to find him. Never mind that one then.

Judging by the responses and the questions I guess people painting helmets isn't a thing around here anymore, from memory I thought there was at least a couple of people on this forum making a business out of it.

Ratso : 3. Perhaps, but I came here to ask first. The JJ community was good at vouching for people who did good work.
4. Wrong country sorry, but to answer the question, there is no one local. That's why I got the first helmet done in the US.

Thanks anyway guys

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's some beautiful work richbob. Unfortunately the added shipping costs of europe blow out the costs a little too much, especially if the helmet had to be posted from the US, to Italy, and then to me. With duties/taxes and the cost of the actual work on top of the helmet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I did get that and thanks, but I think the cost would be more or less the same as shipping one to italy. Biltwell helmets are made in the US if I'm not mistaken, which means after shipping and taxes, and profit margins of the importers to Europe they are more expensive than buying from the US. But I'm if wrong about that, and she can supply one for equal price as lowbrow customs I'm interested. I didn't think this was very likely, so I didn't jump at the recommendation to seek a vendor in europe. If I'm wrong about that, I'm happy to be put right, if you know the pricing on her supplied helmets?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts