Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,

Well I am nearing the end of build and I need everything painted and fast! I sure don't have the funding for a pro painter and I sort of want to give it a go myself. I have watched countless YouTube vids but I got most info out of Fritz's videos.... "Paint tips and tricks" and "How to paint your motorcycle at home". Both were very informative and demystify a lot of things... HIGHLY recommended:

http://spritzbyfritz.bigcartel.com/
Fritz is also a JJer.

Anyhow here is what I have going on, I rigged a tent in my shop and a ventilation fan, also picked up a used spray guy from a pro painter swapping brands.... atleast that's what he said.

WARNING:
I have very limited experience with painting. This thread may turn out to be a "How not to do it thread"..... learning by doing hear so bare with me.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Painting at home - by a novice for a novice

Most of my stuff was down to bare metal so I have used 2 part Epoxy primer and a borrowed gun with a bigger nozzle since the epoxy is like syrup.
Didn't get any shots of the primer but I did have to sand some of the stuff to get a smooth surface again.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

From a local paint shop I got some Black automotive paint with some matting agent just to break the gross down a little bit.

The small stuff was real easy to work with and get right, the frame was a pain in the ass as the pint container was in the way when trying to get in to the tight spots... also I should have adjusted the gun to a more concentrated fan pattern... too much overspray. Next frame I do I will definitely plan the work better.

Over all I'm happy with the results.... the frame will be all dressed up so a lot of the ugly areas will be hidden. The small stuff easily seen came out pretty good.... good enough for me any ways.

Tins next..... :D

Lester

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try using a jamb spray gun they work great for little things and frames,they are so small you can get them in any tight spots

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey Sato666,
Yes, I plan to invest in a little cheap jamb gun for the next frame. I hadn't really thought about the dilemma until I was stood there like an idiot.... lol.

Lester

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

looks pretty good to me!

That small spray gun seems like a good idea, motorcycle parts are very small

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I agree but the price was right for the big pro gun so I grabbed it and ran.
I'll be looking for a smaller one, no rush so I can wait for a deal to come along.

Lester

·
Registered
445 Posts

Wow for knocking down the gloss a bit they sure are glossy. Gloss is good . I always liked the over restored look .

·
Registered
811 Posts

I'm no great painter, especially where large surfaces are concerned, but I find it's like TIG welding - 70% science / 30% art. Get the science part right first and the art part comes easy. I find unless you have access to a booth with proper extraction, damping the floor down with a greenhouse water spray helps (in fact I think they do this in professional spray shops sometimes?). Get a moisture trap / filter and a good regulator. I like this type of gun best as they're easy to clean, cheap, easy to tune and best of all only take so much paint so I have to stop before I get carried away and mess it up :D:

What you've done looks great so far. Don't rush it though.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey Dave,
Yes they did come out a bit glossier than what I was aiming at but its also the lighting in the pictures that gives it the full gloss look. Not too bad, next time I'll get it right.... maybe, you know how it is.... lol.

Lester

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I'm no great painter, especially where large surfaces are concerned, but I find it's like TIG welding - 70% science / 30% art. Get the science part right first and the art part comes easy. I find unless you have access to a booth with proper extraction, damping the floor down with a greenhouse water spray helps (in fact I think they do this in professional spray shops sometimes?). Get a moisture trap / filter and a good regulator. I like this type of gun best as they're easy to clean, cheap, easy to tune and best of all only take so much paint so I have to stop before I get carried away and mess it up :D:

What you've done looks great so far. Don't rush it though.
CookieMonster.... I couldn't agree with you more! I forgot to mention.... I use a spray bottle to wet down the floor and walls of the tent. Its a time game because I have a heater going as well.... so spray down the paint booth with water.... get my things to be painted set up and go before heater evaporates the water mist. Works OK... still seeing some dust in the finished product but not much.

Lester

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Here is where I am at today.... bodywork good enough for me.... its taking forever!

Now for the sealer.... Took Dan's (AMM) advice and ran with Caswell tank sealer.... Far from cheap since the closed dealer was in the UK but better to be safe right?
I hope my welding holds up!

·
Registered
884 Posts

here in the states a lot of homes have a gas water heater in the garage. fumes and pilot lights don't mix. if you have a gas heated water heater you can turn the gas off and restart it when the fumes are gone.

·
Registered
811 Posts

CookieMonster.... I couldn't agree with you more! I forgot to mention.... I use a spray bottle to wet down the floor and walls of the tent. Its a time game because I have a heater going as well.... so spray down the paint booth with water.... get my things to be painted set up and go before heater evaporates the water mist. Works OK... still seeing some dust in the finished product but not much.

Lester
Yeah man, you almost need a checklist unless you do it every day - forget one crucial element and its back to square one. And the temptation to carry on and try to salvage it makes things worse! :)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

here in the states a lot of homes have a gas water heater in the garage. fumes and pilot lights don't mix. if you have a gas heated water heater you can turn the gas off and restart it when the fumes are gone.
Yes watch out for that.... we don't have gass heaters over here so no worries. We do have a constant chilly breeze from the sea so vapors evacuate fairly well. After an hour I open windows and a crack on the door.

Yeah man, you almost need a checklist unless you do it every day - forget one crucial element and its back to square one. And the temptation to carry on and try to salvage it makes things worse! :)
CHECK LIST ! Why didn't I thing of that...LOL... I'm making one.... thanks CookieMonster

Lester

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I guess I could address some HSE issues when pretending to be a painter.

When using solvents you have to wear a proper mask with filters you know are fresh.

AND..... when you are not using your mask you have to store it in a bag or air tight container or else your filters will be use up in no time obsorbing solvents even when you are not breathing through it.

Your skin will absorb solvents and you will be doing a lot of mixing and cleaning with them so nitril gloves are called for as well.

This is cheap insurance so don't cheat your health.

I am also covered from head to toe and as soon as I am done spraying and cleaning I remove the clothes I am wearing as they now have lots of solvent gasses oozing out of them and up your nose. So on the cloths line with them for a couple hours. You shoes will also be solvent stinky too so leave them in the shop of your wife/girlfriend will bitching.

All paint leftovers and solvents from cleaning the gun ect I store in a solvent proof container and cap it asap. The local recycling depot will be happy to dispose of this for me for free, probably different from place to place. Used rags ect..... get them out of the shop as well.

Lester

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Today was a bank holiday and I am taking tomorrow off as well... so more time to play painter. Got the epoxy on the tins today... the surface isn't too bad, light sanding will suffice. The Epoxy was thick in the flow and very forgiving to work with, I keeped the heat at 25*C which is 77*F the whole time.

And for a good laugh...... here is the gun I used for the job... its been around the block a few times but works like a charm

Lester

·
Registered
105 Posts

My compliments on your work and thanks for starting this thread...
I did a fair amount of at home painting in my younger days. I got pretty good with flip/flop flake stuff on heavily molded frames and tanks during that era.
Something that really helped, when using Bondo, was alternating primer coats in grey and black. When you sanded, the alternating colors brought out surface irregularities much quicker. This allowed for less work at spot patching and when you were finally happy a final light or dark primer coat to base the color. This works especially well with darker glossy paint that shows up stuff in the sun.

I now keep all my solvents and flammable stuff in surplus 20mm ammo cans. They seal up air tight and are really strong. I don't have space or enough stuff for one of those big yellow cabinets and the ammo cans are easy to carry outside before opening. It helps keep the fumes down in my back yard metal shop.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks guys... I'd like to see the 20mm ammo cans mentioned. Got a picture? I may have to invest in one if they are available over here.

I have just realized I haven't really mentioned what I am aiming for with this paint job.
To be honest I am not 100% sure yet BUT I like these elements:
Flake, fish scales, lace, circles, starbursts, stripes, candies, flames, depth, house of kolor colors. I want to go a little nutty... well nutty for me anyways.

I am going to spray the tins black tomorrow (wish me luck), when its dry enough I will trying out different things and see where it takes me. I'm still trying to figure out the different colored stripes trick.
I have an old Air brush I bought off of E-bay years ago for pocket change, I got it mostly because I liked the box. Turns out when I cleaned it up and had it assembled I felt the "quality tool feel" in my hand. I know nothing about using these but this little thing seems to do a good enough job for my needs. Real steady and no sputters.... I have fish scales all over my shop now... warming up.

have a good weekend
Lester

1 - 20 of 135 Posts