Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm Otto Carter from Abilene, Texas. I am an engraver. I started out just engraving firearms and knives and then I got hooked up with a local chopper builder and the rest is history. I hope you enjoy the pics and feel free to check out my website.
Thanks.

http://www.ottocarter.com/motorcycle.htm

·
Registered
144 Posts
Otto I really have a love of detail and your handy work is to be much respected my friend. How did you start engraving? I would like to here the story of your progression over time. What tools would you recomend to a novice wanting to develope some basic skills? All the best with your work. I hope to see your work in the flesh one day.

Cheers Twig.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Otto's stuff is good quality for sure, I've had a couple small pieces in my hands, would recomend his work to anyone. Mark.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Oilburner and Twig for your comments. Twig, to answer your questions; I got into engraving primarily to engrave firearms. I took an engraving course at GRS in Emporia, KS. They are an engraving tool manufacturer who offer all types of classes related to engraving and jewelry. I have been a sign designer and pinstriper since 1979 so I already had a background in decorative arts. That experience really helped me to advance my skills faster than normal in engraving. Engraving is extremely challenging and it takes a lot of patience. Most of my work involves spending hours and hours looking through a stereo microscope, cutting thousands of lines or hammering in perfectly placed punched dot backgrounds. It is definately not an art for everyone. I exclusively use Lindsay engraving tools for my engraving. They are by far the best. There are many schools around which offer engraving courses. If I had it to do over, I would look somewhere other than GRS. I was recently mentioned on the Speed channel for a chopper I engraved which won the Chop-off at the ROT rally. You can see it on the link under Motorcycles in the Engraving section on my website.
Thanks,
Otto

·
Registered
106 Posts
"You may never hear surf music again"...
Is that the Jimi Hendrix Experience?

Great fuckin' work... I'd love to throw you some work, but I'm a broke-ass.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, for me the Jug story has been unbelievable. Tomorrow my nephew, who has been working in New Zealand, is flying to Australia to see it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i'm really blown away by your work and your patience.
a real craftsman, a true artist

·
Registered
194 Posts
Very nice work...I personally saw your work on the bike in Austin at ROT.....WE took second to it! Do you have a ballpark price to do some work on some gas caps like the ones on your website?..I'll definately be in contact for the bike I'm doing for myself ...Good job

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Otto! I want to have a pair of gas caps engraved, but am unable to find some for my 47 knuck that aren't already chromed. Any suggestions? Do you have some lying around that I could buy then have you engrave?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Otto, fantastic work...excellent artist. Are you still interested in my project? I never heard back but I've had computer issues as well. Let me know.
Thank you.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Abilene?! I grew up and lived there until i was 24 (i'm currently 29). Your work is amazing, way to represent the 'lene.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts