1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Harry V. Sucher's book "Iron *******" although about the history of Indian, has an entire section devoted to Crocker because the companys were connected. They were suppliers to one another. Cocker supplied sterring dampners and a few other things to Indian and Indian let Crocker buy wheel rims from them after harley threateneed thei rim supplier (kelsey hayes?) with loss of contract if they continued to supply Crocker too. HD was pretty pissed when Crocker introduced their OHV before HD intro'ed the Knucklehead. Crocker was also and Indian dealer for awhile. I visited the old Crocker Shop last time I was in LA and have some of their old stuff that I got from an ex-employee who showed me around. Interesting history. Apparantly the new company who trademarked the name in 2005 just got permission from an old family member. Or so I was told.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info/history. Did you take any pix when you were at the old factory? I have the book "A CENTURY OF INDIAN" but I dont remember any more than a footnote about Crocker. If that. Going to go out & get "Iron *******."

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well, he sure wanted you to know what it was. If it said "crocker" in one more place it woulda been tatooed on his forehead.

Sick bike, though. I love it cause it's understated (except for the name), yet totally badass.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Most of the Crocker original castings either had a big C on it or said Crocker. Interestingly enough, the Indian steering dampners supplied by him said Crocker but the Crocker steering dampners didn't. If you do a search, I posted a photo of what the factory, actually a shop, looks like now in LA about a year or two ago. It's still there and the guy who gave me a tour said they did all their testing in the alley out back.

OK, I did a search and if you follow this thread (link?) you'll see where the Crocker factory was and how Crocker's partner is connected to rock -n- roll!

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5958&highlight=crocker

·
Registered
315 Posts
Most of the Crocker original castings either had a big C on it or said Crocker. Interestingly enough, the Indian steering dampners supplied by him said Crocker but the Crocker steering dampners didn't. If you do a search, I posted a photo of what the factory, actually a shop, looks like now in LA about a year or two ago. It's still there and the guy who gave me a tour said they did all their testing in the alley out back.

OK, I did a search and if you follow this thread (link?) you'll see where the Crocker factory was and how Crocker's partner is connected to rock -n- roll!

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5958&highlight=crocker
that is so cool. thanks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah, Jeff's bike has so much history.
It's one of the most bitchen customs EVER built...but, if you knew all the history attached to it, and how much bitchen shit he did to it.
Well...I don't think you could just sit here and look at the pictures...it would fuck your mind up.
There's MC history, personal history, Crocker history, LA history, guitar history, Decker's various skills...casting, asthetics, and really? Just the sheer fucking balls to do a custom from that pile of parts. He gets berated by purists all the time, and the bike is worth close to 300K...and it hauls ass.
Really.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Crockers have become very desirable and very expensive in the last 10-12 years. The first Crocker I saw was a single cylinder speedway bike belonging to guy named Homer Knapp. He still has the bike and is somewhat of a Crocker expert. He has a shop in southern California called Hollywood Motorcycle Machine. He's one of those guys that can fix or make any motor part. Cool shop too. FIrst time I went there was in 1968 ad he had a partially dismantled Piper Cub parked next to the shop. I was up there a couple years ago and the Piper is still parked in the same spot. I asked Homer about and he said the same thing to me he said 40 years ago... "Gonna get it restored this summer." Cool guy.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts