Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
thing with crocker was strength , look at seat post ....the transmission case is a casting which is direct part of the frame sandwiched between 2 trap doors on each end , so the frame IS the trans with motor and primary bolted to it/in it .

there was a Ginga who used to ride 1 , "red" some one , maybe in booze fighters

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Visited Dale's place with some buds when he was still in Mt. Vernon. Cool place, bikes and he was very personable. Had a UL engine with title for sale, I should've went back and bought it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
They've just started running that "whats in the barn" show down here.

They follow around the guy from Wheels Through Time (for whom i got an instant dislike) who seems to rant at length about Crocker's.

I know they only made 70 of them or something but are they anything special?

It would appear the Crocker will be the "next big must have" but am i missing something??

If i was gunna dump massive $$ i would be chasing a Vincent.
Not being a dick here but do a little research and you'll see what the big deal is about crocker. He and paul bigsby (look him too he's a genius) built crockers in LA . they offered a money back guarantee to anyone who lost a race to a Harley or indian. there were only about 200 crockers built but no one ever claimed the refund. HD and indian were so scared that they threatened their wheel and tire suppliers to make them stop selling to crocker. from then on he had to sell his bikes as kits, without rims and tires. there were only about 200 built so they are very rare and a complete bike can be upwards of $250K. Lots of innovative stuff and very fast. paul bigsby 's hand made guitars are super rare and worth more than the motorcycles. he is also the inventor of the bigsby tremolo , used on electric guitars.
as far as dale walksler, I've never met him but on every video I've seen he comes off as a pretty cool guy in my opinion.

·
Registered
481 Posts
thing with crocker was strength , look at seat post ....the transmission case is a casting which is direct part of the frame sandwiched between 2 trap doors on each end , so the frame IS the trans with motor and primary bolted to it/in it .

there was a Ginga who used to ride 1 , "red" some one , maybe in booze fighters
I forget the guys name but you are right the leader of the boozefighters rode a crocker, its still around too.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It was owned by Jack Lilly AKA Crocker Jack. Its still around in Green and white trim

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
are there any pics on the net of the internals ? did they have proprietary transmissions, clutches,brakes etc. or did they share some pieces with other bikes ?

·
Registered
800 Posts
They were all Crocker except for the aforementioned rims and spokes, the carb and magneto. I'm pretty sure the headlight was outsourced also. Al Crocker was a helluva engineer, his Speedway racers were pretty much unbeatable until the big British singles upgraded, and Paul Bigsby used to say something to the effect of " there isn't anything I can't build . " If I remember correctly, the tranny gears were about 1 1/2" wide. The early Hemi heads made more power than the later parallel valve heads, but had a tendency to crack. Some say this was due to cold butting in the casting process. During the war his shop did contract for the military.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dale is cool. Saw him during the first Cannonball, in Albuquerque, NM, helping a guy straighten the frame on his 1915 Harley...using Dale's 1915 Harley. They had one side of the guy's bike strapped to the rear wheel of a pickup, with Dale's bike chained to the other side of the frame. Dale would dump the clutch on his bike, and tug on the other bike to straighten it. Not every day you see that. He looks a little like a homeless guy, chewing on that cigar, but he's the "Harley Whisperer..."

21 - 40 of 49 Posts