Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They've just started running that "whats in the barn" show down here.

They follow around the guy from Wheels Through Time (for whom i got an instant dislike) who seems to rant at length about Crocker's.

I know they only made 70 of them or something but are they anything special?

It would appear the Crocker will be the "next big must have" but am i missing something??

If i was gunna dump massive $$ i would be chasing a Vincent.

·
Registered
980 Posts
crocker has been the next big thing for 30 odd years . examples in easyrider mag 20 years ago were us100k
search elmo looper the guy who bought out Crocker , hes done some tricky stuff on bikes = BMW/indian scout keeps me awake at night

·
Registered
939 Posts
Think of them as the motorcycle equivalent of Duesenberg or Bugatti cars of the time - hand built machines guaranteed to outrun anything on the road!

Original 'big tank' models are bringing up to 300,000 at auction - a bit more than a Vincent.
Even the 'new' replicas are 150,000.

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-crocker-story.html

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.co...erican-super-bike-that-clipped-harleys-wings/

Some fella in Sydney owns five Crockers & is supposedly building replicas as well:

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/new-crocker-down-under.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
<a href="<a href=" http:="" s1348.photobucket.com="" user="" 39ulh="" media="" dsc00221_zps8b96e07d.jpg.html"="" target="_blank">non hemi
">hemi head"><a href="http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/39ulh/media/DSC00220_zpsf6dfaaaa.jpg.html" target="_blank">just looked these bikes over last week in n carolina, very sweet

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Dale Walksler is his name and he's a really good guy. The first time I went to his Wheels Through Time museum me and the wife got there just as they were locking up to go home. He went back in and turned on all the lights and told us to look around as long as we wanted, for free. One of my friends rode up there on his new BMW and Dale offered him a ride on an antique BMW from his collection. I highly recommend anybody to check out his place and meet him and his son. :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've ridden a few of Dale's bikes while visiting the museum. He's as nice a guy as you'll ever meet. He also used to do a burnout about 50 feet long inside the museum on his Crocker but may have stopped doing it after a slight mishap. It was a helluva sight to see.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Maybe it's none of my business, but what did Dale do in life/profession to be able to obtain such an amazing collection?

Answered my own question:
"Early on in his life Dale Walksler became a gearhead. At just 12 years old he started building go karts and by 15 he started enjoying motorcycles after buying and then restoring a 1952 Harley Panhead in his parents’ garage.

By the time Walksler entered college he was searching for Harleys on a regular basis with his buddies–picking motorcycles from old dealers in Illinois and Missouri. In 1977 he became the youngest Harley Davidson dealer in the country with the opening of Dale’s Harley Davidson in Mt. Vernon, Ill. Dale’s Harley Davidson rapidly grew, expanding into a larger facility just five years later to sell new and used bikes, and to keep his collection of the old relic bikes growing.

Dale’s Harley Davidson became the iconic place to buy a Harley. Buyers from everyday consumers to players on the Dallas Cowboys and the Neiman Marcus franchise purchased bikes from Walksler. During the 1980’s Walksler dreamt of opening The Wheels Through Time museum, and following 24 years in the retail business Walksler sold Dale’s Harley Davidson to pursue his passion of opening the museum.

Walksler moved the museum (full of 200 plus motorcycles) in 2002 to the Smokey Mountain town of Maggie Valley, NC. Today his collection stands at 350 bikes with a little more than 100 of those being built or rebuilt by Walksler from parts and pieces he’s found from all over the country. He uses a trained eye and keen intellect to select only the most unique, rarest motorcycles to restore, and always ensures that every single bike runs and can be ridden. Nearly one million people from around the world have visited Wheels Through Time in the past 11 years."

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Crocker had the strongest guarantee in the business -

"If it won't outrun a Harley or a Indian, bring it back and I'll refund your money"
(or something very close to that)

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
it would be interesting to know if all 71 of them have been accounted for. rumor is 68 so you have 3 chances left to find one

WW2 killed the company, it was located on Venice Blvd. near Hover street in downtown L.A.

I'll go over there today just to see if there might be one sitting out behind the dumpster.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Croker, not the actual original company, supposedly builds bikes and parts that are identical to the originals.
Original Crockers had more than a few problems with cracked heads according to those that ran them back then.
Quite the machine,I'll take one Crocker and on OHV Brough Superior,thank you.:D

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Sheesh...

The knowledge and history on this site scares me sometimes and I like it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
anyone got an explaination on how that motor works??
never seen something with one pushrod unless it was 2cycle and no pushrods...
ya can just send me someplace ,,, I'll read on how it works,,, unless someone wants to just throw it out here,,, its got my curiosity

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
In another life I'll own a Crocker and a Vincent.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts