Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these parts compatible? The Crane Hi-4 ignition has three wires that matter: black for the front cylinder, white for the rear cylinder and red for the center threaded post on the back of the coil. Crane coils (model #8-3001) have three threaded studs on the back, The Screamin' Eagle coil I got cheap on eBay has only two threaded posts, and therein lies my confusion. My question: if these components are in fact compatible, where do I attach the read wire from the Hi-4 ignition installed behind the cone on my 1996 1200 Evo Sportster motor? thanks for your help, and sorry for my rookie question...

harold

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The Crane Hi-4 is set up for single fire ignition, that is each plug fires individually. The Screaming Eagle coil sounds like it's for a dual fire ignition, both plugs fire at the same time. A dual fire coil won't work with a single fire ignition.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My .02

Run dual fire. What exactly are you gaining? - hp? Less 'vibration/knock' ? Always thought it was a gimmicky concept. But, I could be wrong.

BTW, I run the Zipper's (Daytona Twin Tec) electronic ignition in dual fire mode.

Michael

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flatironmike said:
My .02

Run dual fire. What exactly are you gaining? - hp? Less 'vibration/knock' ? Always thought it was a gimmicky concept. But, I could be wrong.

l
Hey guys,

Thanks for helping me sort this deal out. I'm a fan of Crane Hi-4 electronic igntions for one reason only: ease of assembly. Three wires, two screws, a couple of trimpot switches and BAM--you're shit's timed and running. I asked the ebay seller who sold me the screamin' eagle coil if it would work with the Crane ignition and he said yes. I've since contacted him re: my dilemma and he owned up to his misguidance. I've got a single-fire coil in the mail. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts