Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have admired these Crafty-B caps for a long time, put off a bit by the price but also by the fact they don't come with any install info. So when one of my clients wanted one on his bike, I figured there as no time like the present to figure out to install one. There are probably a hundred ways to do it, but I was thinking beyond simply putting nuts and washers below the skin and risking warpage/leaks. This is the second one of these I have installed. The bike is a modern-ish triumph and is still in progress, so it may take a little time to complete the thread. Enjoy!

The backing ring is made from 3/8" alluminum

Next was using a transfer punch to locate al lthe holes for the fasteners

...Then scribe the o.d. of the cap. You will want to scribe which way is front, since the pattern of holes is not perfectly symmetrical.

Next was drilling and tapping all the holes, only ten this time. The last cap like this I did had 14 holes.

After roughing the cuts with a band saw and hole saw, the ring was trued up on the lathe.

Test fit backing ring to the cap with all fasteners. Perfect fit!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been a minute, but here is some progress on this install....

The original cap was offset to the right. The new cap needs to be centered. So the old bung needs to removed.

The tank vent was attached to the filler bung. I liberated it, then TIG'd it to the top of the tank so it would be properly supported.

Next was making a plug to cap the original filler hole.

The original filler was brazed in, so I used silicon bronze to weld in the plug.

This is view from the bottom of the new filler bung installed.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fast forward past body work and paint..... Next is to lightly bolt the cap over the paint and trace around it with ultra-fine sharpie pen. Then use Olfa knife to cut paint on that line down to the metal. A steady hand is more than a little helpful here. Next, scrape all paint and filler off the metal up to the cut. The reason for this is if you crank the bolts down with the cap resting ON the paint it will cause an ugly wrinkle of paint around the cap.

After cutting the paint back, test fit the cap and bung to be sure the cap does not crush any part of the paint. Then clean the bung and get ready to epoxy it into place.

Time for some JB Weld (original, not fast-set). Slather generous coat of epoxy on the cap bottom and bung top and bolt it all together. Wipe excess off tank and cap with soft paper towels, leaving a small amount in the tiny gap between the paints cut edge and the cap. this will seal the paint's edge and keep gas from lifting the edge of the paint.

DONE!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I did a Crafty B filler for Tom Johnson a couple weeks ago. I'd always admired the little parts that go in to making one, and this is the 1st time I'd had one in my hands. Kirk Brown from Crafty B is really into his fillers, and seems like a nice guy. He left me a note on my IG page on the install. I was impressed with the hundreds of combinations, finishes, and sizes he can make for you.

Like you say, there are a lot of ways to install one. The one Tom sent me came with a 3/16" steel mounting flange. And, you're right, the mounting holes in the Crafty B aren't symmetrical on the flange side-to-side.

There wasn't any access to get the flange inside the tank, without cutting one, then filling it back in again. I welded a steel scrap piece across the old filler hole, drilled a pilot hole, then cut the filler out with a hole saw the same size as the Crafty B's filler opening. I TIG'd the mounting flange right to the top of the tank. I'm still going to recommend to Tom that he find some gasket material to place between the flange and the filler that won't soak up and migrate any gas or fumes, though.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comment Rich. That install looks super nice! The last Crafty B lid I did was real close to what you did on your tank, since it also didn't have access from below.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More CB tech. This install was more like Irish Richs'. The tank was one that I had installed a monza filler cap a few years earlier. The first step was to remove that cap and teh bung I had turned for it.

Since I had no access from inside the tank, I turned up a ring from 1/4" steel.

Then I transfered the location of the holes from the cap to the ring and drilled them. Next was to clean off the paint and filler from the previous few paint jobs.

Next was to weld the ring onto the top of the tank.

Then a quick test fit before going out for filler and paint.

Back from paint. Install to be completed soon....

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Lovely, just lovely......Dan I need one of those CB tanks for a project. Not necessarily with the fancy cap, just a stocker that isn't rusted to death.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hmmmm, are you building a cafe bike Brandt? I'm gonna try and find one cause I want to see what you're up to.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
No, not a cafe. A resto of a CB750 71. It's mostly original right down to the paint and I want a good tank.

I really want to do this cap kit to my hotrod.....

I of course realize just now that neither of these are on the topic or correct fodder for this board. Fogieveness preeze!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finished! I trimmed the bolts to just poke through the nuts, once installed, slathered some JB weld on the mounting flange, bolted the cap on and then coated some JB on/around the nuts on the underside. I used a dental mirror, inside the tank, to verify visually that all the hardware was sufficiently coated/sealed. I indexed the screw heads in a radial pattern, just because :D. Better pics will follow.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Dan, looks great. Thanks for showing us.
Do you have a profil view of the tank with the cap installed?.... never seen one in real life.

Lester

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats just beautiful :):)
They all look good, thanks for the pictures and step by step installation.
Thanks guys! Hopefully someone will be helped along with this thread.

Dan, looks great. Thanks for showing us.
Do you have a profil view of the tank with the cap installed?.... never seen one in real life.
Lester
Lester, Thanks! And here is a side pic of the cap...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.