Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a few weeks tracking down a set of set of 500 jugs. I finally found some from SW choppers in Dallas. After I cleaned them, I was a little surprised to find out what I thought was gasket material under the rust was actually a spot where to last owner had brazed them.

There was a hairline crack right at the top of the "skirt". Are these usable? Should I start searching for another set? Part of me thinks since this is beyond the combustion range of the cylinder that is wouldn't be a problem. There there is the part of my brain that works.

If this is the cylinder

( )
( )
| |

the crack is right between the ) and the |

·
Banned
538 Posts
one_bitter_dude said:
I spent a few weeks tracking down a set of set of 500 jugs. I finally found some from SW choppers in Dallas. After I cleaned them, I was a little surprised to find out what I thought was gasket material under the rust was actually a spot where to last owner had brazed them.

There was a hairline crack right at the top of the "skirt". Are these usable? Should I start searching for another set? Part of me thinks since this is beyond the combustion range of the cylinder that is wouldn't be a problem. There there is the part of my brain that works.

If this is the cylinder

( )
( )
| |

the crack is right between the ) and the |
I don't know motors ,,but would say the it's junk,,as the crack would most likely expand and contract due to heat..Maybe it could be sleved

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Is the crack into the combustion chamber ? If so no don't run them in the case of the skirt cracking more then falling into the cases . If the crack is just on the mating surface you should be fine . I had a guy roll up into the shop I worked at years ago with a bad vibration and oil leak . Come to find out the cylinders were both cracked and they were lifting up and down with the pistons ! We showed him then he just rode away .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts