Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering having my frame chromed, wondering what would be an average or fair price for this. I would strip and do some of the polishing. ('02 Sportster frame).
I had a '55 BSA ex-flattracker with a chromed frame, really liked the clean look.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Chrome would be about 5-600 I'm guessing. Now Chrome flavored powder coat onto the other hand would be 2-300.

But what do I know?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I would say look into the chrome powder coat idea. I know it don't bling like real chrome. But every chrome part that went onto my custom Triumph has rust all over in less then a year. The back 16in HD rim rusted before i even got the bike out of the garage. I fucking hate chrome!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Expensive for sure. As far as doing some of the polishing yourself, get with the chrome shop FIRST. Alot of those guys don't want you doing your own stuff. They do it everyday and know what they want and how they want it, and they'll probably go over your "work" anyway and it won't save you much if any cash.

I built a chromed Paughco framed ironhead several years ago. Looked killer, but after awhile the the tiny rock chips you get with normal use rusted, so you could see rust specks here and there.

I deffinetly like the look though. There was a place in Chicago that made Stainless frames years ago when I checked into it. You could polish it plus avoid the rust spots, but I read several threads about the strength issues involving stainless frames and kind of lost interest.

Sixball

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stopped at the powder coaters the other day, got a price and a sample for the "chrome" powder coat. $220 plus the cost of having it sandblasted. The coating is really shiny silver and really nothing like chrome plating...but it's not bad and the price is right. It does need a clear coat though because it marks easily.
The powder coater thought plating would cost at least 4 times more.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I was just considering chroming my frame too. Not for One Stack or higher though .... F-That. I live where driving down the freeway is like a sandblaster so that was my main concern too. How long would the chrome hold up? Not sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.