Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a productive saturday. Picked up this neat old trailer made with a model T axle and unknown (so far) 18" motorcycle style wheels. Can anybody ID these ? They fit the stock Model T spindles perfectly.
I also stopped by a local auction and scored a complete chromed star hub 16" wheel for $20. I found out who placed it in the auction and it turned out to be a lady with a VW trike that she needs help finishing (right up my alley since I'm a VW AND motorcycle mech ) She is also going to put me together with an old greybeard biker with a ton of stash to dispose of. That's where she got the wheel. :)

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
most hubs are innerchangeable on different spindles you just need to get the right bearing. im not sure because its hard to see but it looks like they made there own spindles and welded them to the old ones/between the old axle forgings, to use the old bearings.

take the wheel off, and if it has a splined area inside where the bearing goes it could be early harley like a JD, VL or something. the brake drums and sprockets had teeth that innerlocked with the wheel. if not they might just be sidecar wheels. im no expert tho.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you look close you can see that the hubs are tapered with a large bearing on the inside and a smaller bearing on the outside. automotive style for sure. and those are stock T spindles, they were welded to the axle when it was made into a trailer. i have a similar trailer made the same way but with a later model A axle and wheels.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Good Score. How about some close up pics of the hubs, can't see enough in those shots.
Robbie

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think this axle/wheel combo will make a great start on a trailer for my 45 racer. if i ever finish the damn thing :D

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
im going to say sidecar wheels. the rim itself looks 18" harley for sure. those are not stout enough to be car wheels, and even if they were there would need to be a place for the brakes to attach, or else the inside would be splined to fit over a hub(usually with knock offs)

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
I thought harleys used the same hubs on the sidecars as the bike they were attached to so one spare would fit all 3 corners ???
They did! The only tapered hubs were Servi-Car and they don't have bearings in them, they were solid mounted to an axle with bearings. Those look like Indian S/C wheels. Do they have Timken bearings?
Robbie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts