Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some cool oil lines of the triumph I am putting together like the clear with the string woven through them, or any other ideas. As well as where i can find them.THANKS JEFF

·
Registered
351 Posts
blackchop66 said:
I am looking for some cool oil lines of the triumph I am putting together like the clear with the string woven through them, or any other ideas. As well as where i can find them.THANKS JEFF
I've used black braided lines. It's not stainless/metal. The outer shell is a braided cloth material. It's pretty trick, and blends in well, especially on "industrial" styles of builds. You can usually find it at a heavy truck parts place. TK.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
That clear line with the strings running thru it gets pretty crappy looking in a short time. Oil or gas will discolor it brown or yellow. Same goes for the clear or red fuel line.
i like that stuff that Jason recommends but a car wash (which you shouldn't use on a bike anyway) will tatter it up. IMHO you can't beat hard lines

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Bill,

I've got to disagree with you on the "tattered up" bit.

I've used this line plenty over the years and have scrubbed the shit out of the bikes many times. The covering is almost bulletproof.

Hard lines work harden and crack at the most inopportune times. They are cool looking though. I use to run them, and even with a flexible section in the middle somewhere, they were still subject to cracking after a lot of miles.

Respectfully,
Jason

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Jason, have you used stainless or copper for hard lines? I would think that stainless lines would be much less inclined to crack.

JasonMcElroy said:
Hard lines work harden and crack at the most inopportune times. They are cool looking though. I use to run them, and even with a flexible section in the middle somewhere, they were still subject to cracking after a lot of miles.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have used the clear braided stuff on a few bikes, I found they discoloured quick but worse than that they went rock hard and brittle. The oil feed on my 6T thunderbird was so hard it split about 60 miles from home and covered the whole fucking bike and me in hot oil.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
nutz said:
Jason, have you used stainless or copper for hard lines? I would think that stainless lines would be much less inclined to crack.
I've used copper and mild steel. Never tried stainless.

I'm gonna stick with rubber. Over the last few years, over many miles, my tastes have really moved towards maintenance-free reliability and roadside repairability over all else.

Not much of a chopper guy I guess.

jason

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
No shame in that (reliability, that is). I cracked one of my copper lines right at the fitting on the tank and my rear tire and tranny had a nice oil bath. I had to splice in some rubber hosing after some roadside surgery to the copper line.

I think the stainless will be much more durable, that's what I'm running on my bikes going forward.

JasonMcElroy said:
I've used copper and mild steel. Never tried stainless.

I'm gonna stick with rubber. Over the last few years, over many miles, my tastes have really moved towards maintenance-free reliability and roadside repairability over all else.

Not much of a chopper guy I guess.

jason

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
JasonMcElroy said:
Bill,

I've got to disagree with you on the "tattered up" bit.

I've used this line plenty over the years and have scrubbed the shit out of the bikes many times. The covering is almost bulletproof.

Respectfully,
Jason
That line must have a better wrapping than what I'm used to seeing. The braided/covered line that I use is the OEM stuff for German cars. It has a tendency to fray and/or turn gray with age and moisture exposure.
I never had a problem with factory hard lines on any of my old Pans or 45s. Did see some homemade lines fail though. What is the brand name of that hose you've got ? I'd like to try some on my Shovel.

·
Jumper
154 Posts
A little hint on the clear woven lines. A little bit of clothing dye in a pot of boiling water, mix in the oil lines and you got colored line. We had to do it a couple times to get the right color, but they look cool.
blackchop66 said:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
bill said:
What is the brand name of that hose you've got ? I'd like to try some on my Shovel.
Bill,

It is a braided PET covered hose. It doesn't pick up water, discolor, or fray. One manufacturer of the just the sleeving for use with regular oil/fuel line sells it under then name "Clean Cut". I use the sleeving for all electrical runs too as it incredibly abrasion resistant.

You can get the hose, pre-covered at McMaster-Carr.

More info on the sleeving here:

http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedProducts/Detail/LappUSA/Lapp_offers_SILVYN_PET_Sleeving/24507/0

jason

·
Registered
944 Posts
Jason,

Thanks for the info and pictures. I need to change out the lines on my Sportster and I think the PET covered hose will be my option.
Hank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts