Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ran across this really cool gen/alt cover this weekend on a old Ironhead. Im gonna have to try and get that thing on my bike. Ive been looking for a nice cover and have never seen one offered. It says "Electric Sparks" on it. Any one producing something similar? if not it might be a nice product to offer. Just thought Id share.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Franks also made a 6 volt. I've sold three of those on fee bay, all of them brought moon money! they were made in the early 70's I think! I've seen them on pan's knucks and gen case shovles, sportys also! Cool period piece.. if it works !

·
Registered
647 Posts
You could still buy them in the early 90s at least thats when I bought my last one.
But I think they wern't made until the 80s ??

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah they get pricey online for whatever reason. A friend of mine picked up one of them, an oil cooler, and a top clamp at the swap meet for $20. He scored major on it after we checked them out on the computer. It does work real good though. He'd been through multiple other new ones until he put the Frank's on his bike.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah Dragstews, what the fuck is going on there, how have I never seen that? Show some better pics of the speed-e-shift, the whole bike, etc.! And then sell it to me for cheap. That's all I ask.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
CCI makes one that installs under the stock chrome cover....

I have used a few of them over the year.
Works very well...

Yep, works perfect and keep the stock smooth look.. (around $ 90.00 if I recall correctly..)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Dragstews, it would be cool to see pics of the little hand lever and to see how it actuates the downshifting. I never understood that part of the speed-e-shift.

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Dragstews, it would be cool to see pics of the little hand lever and to see how it actuates the downshifting. I never understood that part of the speed-e-shift.
Well ...we are getting a bit off topic here...

But here goes....

Kinda did my own thing with the down-shift lever...

I used a Harley 1928 front brake lever...

The kit was sold back in the day with a compression release type lever..

The Speed-E has two shifting jaws or gates...The up-shift jaw only needs the clutch peddle to go up though all the gears...
On down-shifting...Pull the lever and every time the clutch peddle is depress ...Goes down a gear...The design of it allows you to find neutral by being in first or second gear and pulling the lever haft way...Takes it right to neutral with a kick to the clutch peddle.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ive got an old electric Frank reg that doesnt work. Does anyone know any body that will rebuild them? I think its a super cool piece and want to use it. So if i cant get it rebuilt im thinking about leaving it In place and remote mounting a regulator else where. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
They're completely enclosed in an insanely thick and tough epoxy resin, which is why I've never heard of anyone rebuilding them. 74's Forever just started selling their own cast and polished regulators and they look great. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but rebuilding one of the old franks units would be about impossible.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
wildgoat, you might be able to dig out the old resin and electronics from the Electric Franks setup and replace the guts with one of the CCI electronic units. I imagine that's how Forever 74 puts theirs together.

Regards,
Geo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts