Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a cool looking filter for Mikuni round slide carbs? Something that would detract from the ugliness of the carbs? I've got a pair of Miks' on my Triumph and I can't seem to find anything cool except the pancake and cone looking filters. Anything different out there? Anyone make a cool filter housing for a K&N element or something to fit a Mik'? Does Goodson have anything like that? Thought about making something myself. Anyone have any ideas or pics of anything different?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
I put the cone shaped filters on my wifes 650 because of lack of room. I thought about a rectangular paper filter type air cleaner but it would have only been about 2" thick and after the rubber ends it wouldn't have much filter area. But I made my own dual carb manifold for a TR6 single carb head and the engine is in a Sante frame, you may have more room. If you'r using a factory dual carb head you will have even less room because the carbs stick out more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Does anyone make a cool looking filter for Mikuni round slide carbs? Something that would detract from the ugliness of the carbs? I've got a pair of Miks' on my Triumph and I can't seem to find anything cool except the pancake and cone looking filters. Anything different out there? Anyone make a cool filter housing for a K&N element or something to fit a Mik'? Does Goodson have anything like that? Thought about making something myself. Anyone have any ideas or pics of anything different?
Your imagination is as far as you can go for coming up with a filter for a MiK...
Get some short pieces of (stainless for example) pipes and bends in the same diameter as your carb outlet and weld something up yourself! (Or let somebody else weldup your idea) Then you can adapt any type of filter you want..not enough room for something cool? Stick them out, point them straight up,turn them forward,etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm sort of moving in the DIY direction for the filters too. Even making an adapter for a filter designed for a different carb would be cool. I have plenty of room to work with. Not too concerned about that. Thinking something tear-drop shaped might be cool.
Danny F. said:
Your imagination is as far as you can go for coming up with a filter for a MiK...
Get some short pieces of (stainless for example) pipes and bends in the same diameter as your carb outlet and weld something up yourself! (Or let somebody else weldup your idea) Then you can adapt any type of filter you want..not enough room for something cool? Stick them out, point them straight up,turn them forward,etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Does anyone have one of these? How big are they? Is that chrome or polished aluminum?
They are the same size as an original S&S filter, this picture you showed there is out of a CCI catalog, and these guys only sell 'em in chrome finish... they are cast aluminum. Check out there catalog online,Dan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Danny F. said:
They are the same size as an original S&S filter, this picture you showed there is out of a CCI catalog, and these guys only sell 'em in chrome finish... they are cast aluminum. Check out there catalog online,Dan.
Hmmm... that's going to be big on those little Miks. Probably won't look right. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the info. I've got a few more ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Hmmm... that's going to be big on those little Miks. Probably won't look right. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the info. I've got a few more ideas.
Put your surfshirt on and go to www.mooneyes.com ... to the air cleaners page..what about part #AA517, #AA714, AA519 or #MRG6475...of course you wil have to make an adapter ring...(sorry I would post these pictures but me and computers...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Danny F. said:
Put your surfshirt on and go to www.mooneyes.com ... to the air cleaners page..what about part #AA517, #AA714, AA519 or #MRG6475...of course you wil have to make an adapter ring...(sorry I would post these pictures but me and computers...)
There are tons of good ones on there. I didn't realize they were that cheap. Mooneyes seems to go both ways on their pricing. Those seem resonable. I like this one
http://www.mooneyesusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=776
or the helmet one would be cool too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
scootermcrad said:
There are tons of good ones on there. I didn't realize they were that cheap. Mooneyes seems to go both ways on their pricing. Those seem resonable. I like this one
http://www.mooneyesusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=776
or the helmet one would be cool too.
I noticed later that I forgot to mention these with their part numbers, stuff like this is fairly good priced, it's when you go for that aluminum absolete retro stuff ..then you will need your gold card...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top