Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost done with the mock up phase of my 73 T100 project. The pictures below tell the story. The first is what i started with. Everything after that is what I have done to this point. This is my first bike, so, I want to make sure I am not screwing it up. Not a lot has been welded yet because I am still playing around with different parts. The oil tank is out to be repaired and will be mounted in the usual place. Its the one in the first picture. The tank is the one in the first picture. I sent it to the painter already because I had the money for it right now and that may not be the case in a few months when this thing is wrapped up. My bigest concern right now is the chain clearance in the last picture. I bought the skateboard wheel chain tensioner from Lowbrow, however, it is simply too big for this bike with the 4" stretch and 0" drop. Is this clearance, or lack of clearance going to be an issue? The chain is really tight right now so there will be the normal amount of slack on final assembly. I did see one by Troyfab on their site that looked like it might be a little smaller. Once I get the oil tank back and mounted next week I will figure out where the battery is going. there isn't enough room behind the center down tube because of the chain, so I will have to troll the picture post for some ideas. I went with the Pazon electronic ignition based on Tony the Torch's recommendation

Well that's about it. Please feel free to rip it apart, I am asking for it. Just remember, everything I have learned is from this board via the search button and occasion thread when I couldn't find the answer. If I have built a mismatched piece of shit its really your collective fault not mine. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The motor is in backwards...

..reach out to loffer on here, he has a sweet, probably THE sweetest Trump 500 i've seen. I got a T120 but my rear frame is different if that chain starts whipping you'll be slapping that frame. Fab kevin does have a smaller tensioner, check it out. good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked at every picture of Loffer's T100 that has been posted on the forum. I really like his paint job and was going to basically do something similar since I have the same oil tank, but, I thought it was a bit of an asshole move since he has created a unique look. Still trolling around for the final paint scheme. My big concern right now is the chain clearance and the look of the large headlight. I bought it from someone local this winter and just put it on tonight after I mounted the handlebars. It just seems a little too big to me, but, I am not sure if that is the right look for a bobber. the headlight is in a 9 out of 10 condition. I only paid $40 for it, so, its not going to break the bank to go with a smaller one if it would look better.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Lose light and use a smaller skateboard wheel for your tensioner. Hell ill even give you a 52 or 57 mm for free. It's takin up space on my shelf. Pm if you want it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like it, even the light.
I'm not a fan of those particular type of headlight brackets (personally I think they look cheap, and they always seem to work loose)

There was a cool chain tensioner in Back Street Heroes a while back, on a Triumph called the Eel. was machined out of bearing plastic, no moving parts easy to adjust....
Lets face it with those axle plates you don't really need a tensioner just a guide to stop it chewing out the frame/gaurd or whatever

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's all personal preference, but a smaller headlight, mounted lower, and I think Bob's your uncle. Drew might be onto something with the guide idea. You may not need a tensioner, so much as something to keep the chain from rubbing/slapping on the frame.

Good to see someone sort of local to me building a similar bike. We'll have to grab a beer when mine is finished in about two friggin years...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
There are some really, really nice customs on here, but there are also SO many 'cookie cutter' jobs (I hope I didn't step on anybody's toes with that comment). Other than saying that fabrication can play a key role, I don't have any suggestions for you at all in terms of styling; that's something that needs to come from your own noggin. The object of customizing anything is to create something unique, even if it winds up in the ugly/ funny bikes thread :) All I can say is, try to think outside the cookie cutter...it only takes a slight variation form the norm to create something that makes people go 'wow!' And the bottom line is that if you like it, then who cares what jerks like me have to say anyhow :D

By the way, I'll cast my vote for a skate board wheel to keep the chain away from that frame...cheap effective and easy. It doesn't have to actually tension the chain, just guide it....rigid frame in NB eh?...beware of Mr Hoar!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Thanks b head. Check out troyfabs weld on tensioner. He has one that slides back and forth in bracket . Same premmisis as the spring , but the tilt of the chain allows for the slack. It's small. The spring tensioner are huge. I had to cut mine down to fit . I had more room than you do. You are gonna need it. That is gonna slap for sure. Loose the headlight ! Looks good otherwise. Stock bikes and cafe bikes look good with big headlight , stripped down chops never do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Frame and stance looks good. The handlebar is one of the ugliest I've seen, way too wide and bulky for such a small bike. Headlight is too big. Otherwise you're off to a good start.

I would build the chain tensioner myself, it really isn't very complicated. Heck, it doesnt even need to be a tensioner with a spring, just a chain roller.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is some good feedback here. I think the general consensus is the light doesn't work, which confirmed my own feeling. A little surprised by the handlebar comment, I love those bars. I will wait and see how they look with the tank back on. I still have the stock bars and risers, as well as, two brake cables of different lengths. The Troyfab tensioner is the one I was thinking about as well. The pictures he has on his website don't actually show it well thouh. I will give Tyler a call before my next order and get a few measurements on it. The weld on skateboard one I have is just too big and doesn't work with the cross member on the frame. The wheel would be 2" from the edge of the motor so even a smaller wheel would still not work, but, I do appreciate the offer for a smaller one. Anyway I have to stop by a local shop today and pick up some controls and the few things for the rear. I just found out this weekend that a speedo is mandatory in my neck of the woods so I have to remove the speedo cover I bought from the Factory and set up the rear end pretty much stock across the axle.

Goldy, I don't have to go near Mr. Hoar as he is on the other side of the province. The bike is already transferred to me and registered for the road. There is no inspections for bikes in New Brunswick so I am good to go once The bike is safe and roadworthy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks b head. Check out troyfabs weld on tensioner. He has one that slides back and forth in bracket . Same premmisis as the spring , but the tilt of the chain allows for the slack. It's small. The spring tensioner are huge. I had to cut mine down to fit . I had more room than you do. You are gonna need it. That is gonna slap for sure. Loose the headlight ! Looks good otherwise. Stock bikes and cafe bikes look good with big headlight , stripped down chops never do.
Hey Loffer, what size headlight did you use on your T100?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think your heading in the right direction. Just a few of my worthless opinions:

1. I don't care for the seats The size/style doesn't seem to fit the bike well (in the first picture.) The seat in the others looks better.

2. Don't care for the color match paint on the motor, I'd go with black.

3. The wheels don't go with the rest of the bike.

4. The pass. foot pegs look like their may be a safety issue. (Could just be the angle of the picture.)

I'm in no way trying to be an ass, I hope I'm giving you the feedback you wanted. I love the T100's.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey no worries. The first picture is what it looked like when I dragged it home last year. Most of it was given away to a local school program. All the other pictures are the current mock up. new Redtail Leather seat, Triumph read wheel and a complete Triumph conical front end to replace the Jap stuff that was on it. The engine was completely rebuild on the bottom and top and the cylinder head was blasted and painted black. The pictures are a little dark as it was after 8 when I hauled it outside. I appreciate the feedback as I have your black T100 build saved in my bookmarks. It sounds like I have already done most of what you are suggesting. The foot rest will be addressed for sure. I almost have a pir straightened out for use. The brake pedal is just laying on top of the foot peg until I connect the brake rod. I am on the hunt for a 5.75 headlight. I need one with a three way switch so I can have it off during startup.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Goldy, I don't have to go near Mr. Hoar as he is on the other side of the province. The bike is already transferred to me and registered for the road. There is no inspections for bikes in New Brunswick so I am good to go once The bike is safe and roadworthy.[/QUOTE]

Good for you man...stay as far away from that fellow as you can. What he don't know won't hurt you...treat 'em like mushrooms, keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em bullshit :D

I'll vote for the small headlight especially if you are going to use those bars...the big lights seem to look good with low rise, clip-on, clubman, or drag bars.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only problem I think I may encounter is charging the battery for a smaller light. I can't find and non-halogen lights in a 5.75" light. My electrical system consist of a Pazon electronic ignition, sparx rectifier, Wassel 200 watt 16A stator, and a Lucas rotor that appears to be fully magnitized, it passed the lift off the ground with a screwdriver test. I will most likely replace the rotor before I fire up the bike just because the rest of the system is all brand new and I don't want a weak link in the system. Lastly, I have a Drag Specialties 200 cold cranking amps sealed battery. I have no experience with these British charging systems, so, the question is do I have the juice to run the halogen headlight?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well here goes nothing .... I actually dig the light. Then again, i like big headlights and i like em mounted high and not illuminating my front tire. Not sure how i feel about the bars so id have to say no. Maybe just some weird angles going on there with the risers. Where did you get that rear fender. Id like a plain chrome skinny fender like that. The way you got it was a nightmare ..... Night and day. Great start.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The rear fender is from Lowbrow Customs. It is a 4.25" polished stainless steel. I actually ordered it polished by mistake. It will be blasted and then painted when I finish the welding on the fender mounts. I must of gotten the last one. I just went to their site to get a link for you and it is not there. I am going to try those bars with some straight 1" risers instead of the Flanders pullback risers I am currently using. Maybe that will help the visual. They are just a pair of 70's twisted metal Z bars.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.