Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up fellas, I think we can all agree that genny shovels look better but I keep hearing that cones are more reliable/better motor. I was always brought up being told that anything AMF was junk compared to old HD stuff. I've seen some really nice cone shovel builds but I was wondering what you guys have to say on the topic.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Nothing wrong with AMF, they saved HD with their deep pockets. No AMF, no HD.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
generators look great have never been the most reliable charging system, On a genny bike it's best to run a magneto so you can just get it home when the lights go out.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Genny are nice and if you set em up right they are pretty reliable,i have electronic ignition,and a cycle electric 1 wire genny with regulator built in ,You set it and forget it 14k miles later still running mint no problems mags are nice but way over rated.Its all personal preferance..I have both a Cone and a Genny and Love both.My Pan 3/4 kick everytime hot or cold so lovely...Most the time i just use the electric leg though..But when i show off my mechanical abilitys I give her the 3/4 dirt bike style kick and Wham everytime.No Crazy Ballerina Dance on the kicker with Leg in the air and a Triple linden landin on the kicker for a power kick....hahahahah

·
Registered
788 Posts
I like them both. on my 2nd cone. Cant afford a genny.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Not me. I love the looks of a cone shovel.
Me too. I love the look of the cone, and I love the look of the panheads. So I went with both and run a cone shovel with panheads. Best of both worlds (looks wise) for me

Sixball

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Now that this has turned into a poll, I'm one of the cone weirdoes too. I like the nice symmetrical V shape of the alternator motors, that funny kidney/baby bootie club foot shape on gennys looks goofy to me.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Me too. I love the look of the cone, and I love the look of the panheads. So I went with both and run a cone shovel with panheads. Best of both worlds (looks wise) for me

Sixball
Post pics! I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I had a pan for a long time (rode the hell outta it) When i couldnt afford to rebuild it the right way, i Traded straight up for a fresh cone shovel and havent looked BACK

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
it's only a matter of money..............
Not really. Some people flat out prefer one over the other. I'm working on my own personal second cone Shovel right now. I could've easily bought a Pan or a genny Shovel by now, but I enjoy a good cone Shovel and plan on finishing this one before I even consider buying something else. I do think that I'll build a Pan next, but money was never the mitigating factor, it was just preference.

I can say it would be money in a world where everyone thinks and acts the same, much like the majority of the "chopper" scene, but that's not the case across the board.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
There's beauty in simplicity and by having the charging system run right off the crank, the cone motor has fewer moving parts. I still like the look of a genny motor, though.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Even in a perfect world, Generators have rolling, rubbing and wearing parts and need to be serviced after a time. Alternators do not. In reality, with shorts, bad grounds and dead, batteries, alternators still have the edge in reliability.

Plus there are other updates through the years that make newer engines in the same family better. Deeper spark plug threads after '74, cam timing gears with tighter clearance for less noise, better oil pumps, stuff like that.

And you couldn't do this with a generator shovel:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
1 - 20 of 78 Posts