Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see these spark plug adaptor compression releases for evos and shovelheads and wonder if there is any such thing for ironhead sportsters? When I pull my sparkplugs out the engine turns over real fast and it just seems like it would start easier with a compression release?? The bike starts kinda hard right now (I think some of that is due to the locked full advance mag??) but I think a compression release might help things??? thanks-

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Dan said:
I see these spark plug adaptor compression releases for evos and shovelheads and wonder if there is any such thing for ironhead sportsters? When I pull my sparkplugs out the engine turns over real fast and it just seems like it would start easier with a compression release?? The bike starts kinda hard right now (I think some of that is due to the locked full advance mag??) but I think a compression release might help things??? thanks-

There's an article on dual-plugging your ironhead at: http://www.sportster.org/tech/dual-plug/

After adding a second plug hole, it would be as simple as screwing in a compression release "thing." The compression on my ironhead wasn't the problem; the cursed kicker gears were. Maybe, though, the kicker gears wouldn't be so tempted to slip and fuck up your knee if there wasn't so much compression to kick over? I would think that just one compression release might make life easier.

I started a friend's KH, which has almost the exact same bottom end as an early ironhead - at least the kicker features the same cursed [lack of] technological finesse. That kicker never even threatened to slip, and my friend reports that it has never crippled him. Maybe the flathead's lower compression saves the day, as well as the knee? If so, then a compression release might also prolong the interval between visits to the ortho doctor.

These are all wild guesses. I really have no idea of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i have compression releases on my pan and i get kick the motor fast enough to start it when using them.I have been able to start it with one a couple of times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts