Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Interstate Cycletron 12N5-4B battery in my !965 Triumph Bonnie. I had a problem with it slowly discharging when not in use-I figured a short somewhere was my problem. I looked at the headlamp wiring and it looked a bit shoddy so I rewired it with 16 gauage wiring with new bullet connectors and covered connections with heat shrink tubing. I can see no other wiring problems anywhere-I have the tank off and looked closely at everything. I did not test the new light and ignition switches on the side panel. The battery reads 12.6 volts but the bike appears dead- no lights, no spark,, no anything. Could the battery be dead even thought it shows 12+ volts on a digital meter? What have I screwed up this time?:confused::(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found what looks like a poor solder on the main brown/white line from the ignition switch to the black wire from the Podtronics unit. Will repair and check it out tomorrow. I did not notice it at first as it has electrical tape on it. I probably broke the solder taking the battery out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Check the battery under load. I've had several batteries read 12V but drop to 2V under load, meaning they're worn out somehow. Happens enough to be something I check first now. (Also rewired the bike 100%, problem gone now.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have solved the electrical problem. I replaced the light switch with another Lucas spare I had and fixed a short in the battery fuse line to positive ground. Everything works now except a new problem has developed. The altenator was working fine (according to ammeter readings) previous to the above electric problem. The bike now shows no charging when bike is idling or revved and shows a discharge when the lights are turned on. The charging circuit was very recently rewired by Don Hutchinson of Wakefield Triumph and appears in good order. The wiring to the Podronics unit (also new) is good. What other things could cause this problem beyond the altenator being shot? Ideas, Please and Thank You. David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.