Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Keep in mind that most 4.00 & 4.50 x 18" classic style tires on this board are mounted on the early OEM style 18" x 2.15" wide rims..

Your rim is 18" x 3.50" wide.. so you can't really compare what your end result will be before you trial-mount a 4.00 and a 4.50..

Not that the difference will be fenomenal, but it all depends to what look you're after of course..safetywise you shouldn't have any probs..

(Hell, I've mounted 5.00 x 16" Firestone's on 5.5" wide rims..:eek: )

·
Registered
447 Posts
This is from some searching I did on the issue a few months back
Not sure if it adds anything to your decision but figured I'd drop it here

Quote:
Rim Width Range
Because tires have flexible sidewalls, a single tire size will fit on a variety of rim widths. A tire's rim width range identifies the narrowest to the widest rim widths that the tire is designed to fit. The width of the rim will influence the width of the tire. A tire mounted on a narrow rim would be "narrower" than if the same size tire was mounted on a wide rim. NOTE: Because the overall diameter of a steel belted radial is determined by the steel belts, there is little, if any, change to the overall diameter of the tire due to differences in rim width.

The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10".
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=198

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.