Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while riding home today, my bike died, lost spark. The coil split open and started spewing smoke like a boiling over tea kettle. It was so hot the plasic housing melted and dripped down the engine cases. It freaked me out for a minute, because i initally thought a gas line busted and started a fire on one of the cylinders. I turned the fuel off and jumped off the bike as quick as i could. When the smoke settled, I found what had happened. The bike is a 79 shovel with points ignition. Points are only a few months old, and this coil was checked when I installed it to make sure it was the right resistance coil for points ignition. My guess is that one of the high tension leads in the coil shorted out internally, as the ignition wires, and wiring for power and to the points are fine. Anyone else ever have this happen? Is there anything else I need to check? I believe the coil just went south, as it is a few years old and just a stock replacement HD coil, but am open to others suggestions and stories. Never hurts to ask, I may learn something new. Thanks, Chad.

·
Registered
935 Posts
youre theory of internal malfunction sounds right to me.only other possibility might be voltage regulator puttin too much juice to the coil but that would have to go through the points and condenser first.maybe get a new condensor while youre at it they are relatively cheap.trace all the wires to the coil make sure they arent grounding out or crossing something.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to run to my pops tonight and grab a coil. I will check the voltage at the coil while the bike is running just to rule that out as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
was it plastic dripping down? or oil that was inside the coil? lots of transformers are bathed in oil. hence when they go, they blow up. A coil is simply a very high turn ratio transformer.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mostly the oil from inside the coil. that stuff stank like all hell when it split apart too. my pops had a good used coil that I went and picked up. The shovel is runnin like an ole top again. Tomorrow I will throw a meter on the + coil post when i get to work and make sure the regulator is not allowing the stator to over charge. I'm just grateful the coil quit at the end of my street and not miles from home. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Kinda freaky that happened. Good thing you weren't far. If it was me and my luck, I would have been riding in another state and the whole bike would have caught fire. Glad to hear you got it up and running again. Is the regulator new by chance?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.