Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

Over winter, on my 68, I fixed the primary cases with some neat tig welding and made it flat so it wouldn't drip oil out the primary.
the reasoning was the primary chain was always very dry.

so my plan was, because there's no drip feed from the oil pump, fix the primary, new clutch plates, and then add some primary oil, just enough that the ring gear could catch it and fling oil to the chain to keep it lubed.

thing is now, on heavy load, for example, doing 60 and then opening up more, or even going up very steep hills, the damn thing slips and the revs start screaming at me...

I thought would have been alright, dry plates, bit of oil just for a change.. but sounds like the oil might have got to the plates...

What are my options here? I don't think its clutch adjustment, I have adjusted plenty of them and on my 76 (open belt) it works perfectly fine with the adjustments I usually do.
So.... can I save the existing plates? soak them in something? brake cleaner? rough them up?

Get shot of them and get wet plates? wet plates ok with just enough oil for the ring gear to catch...?

what is your advice on this one?

thanks!
JP

·
Registered
417 Posts
the old oem plates are not so oil friendly as you see. yes they could be cleaned but they will need it pretty regularly to stay clean.

wet or dry frictions such as the red alto brand are quite oil tolerant.
being wet type doesn't mean submerged in oil.
submerged plates will never fully let go, expect much drag, gear clashing and other bad things will happen.
bike upright, oil just up to the basket so the ring gear slings it, maybe about 7 to 8 oz.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes Dan, that's what I've done, bike upright on the lift and just put enough oil so the ring gear could touch it.
Mind you, my primary repairs worked a treat, dont leak a drop.

so.... what we saying here? Better get some red alto brand friction plates?

I'm almost tempted to drain the oil out, and then lube the primary chain the same way you lube a rear chain, open the inspection now and again and spray chain lube on it....

what pains me is that because I have dual exhausts, I have to remove (or undo and move out the way) the rear exhaust so I can take the outer primary out.. was hoping I wouldnt have to go in there again.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
how old are the plates in it ?, for it to slip as badly as you say on a hill, it sounds like you have worn out friction plates to the point that oil has compounded the problem but has not actually caused it,..... after all, as standard they were designed to run in oil, somethings not to speck somewhere

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how old are the plates in it ?, for it to slip as badly as you say on a hill, it sounds like you have worn out friction plates to the point that oil has compounded the problem but has not actually caused it,..... after all, as standard they were designed to run in oil, somethings not to speck somewhere
brand new everything . inner case support bearing because the old one exploded... and I put new frictions and new steels. Must have like 20 miles on it.

I can't imagine for a minute being adjustment on the clutch, I've done them a million times, so could only thought it was due to the oil...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
all I can surggest is to check the simple things first, adjustment is the first to check, then any further you'll need to get Mr Snapon out,...what oil did you use ?...could be the wrong oil, many use ATF fluid in the primary, I dont as in the past I have found although the clutch works well in it, it being piss thin seems to let it leak from everywhere where it never leaked from before, try draining the primary & see if it's any better, it wont hurt for a few miles & if better it may be the oil or the plates are not the oil friendy type

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh I done that, clutch adjustment is piss easy, i doubt is something wrong there. But I'm tempted to undo it all and start from zero. again.

The oil is the proper Harley primary oil. for some reason had some kicking about in the garage, don't even know why because I have open belts... someone might have given it to me at some point I guess.

good shout draining it. I'll get that done, for sure it won't hurt a few miles

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
personally I also run open belts & have only had a few Harleys with a closed primary but didn't have problems, good luck & shout when ya have it sorted, gotta be something simple i hope

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all...

Over winter, on my 68, I fixed the primary cases with some neat tig welding and made it flat so it wouldn't drip oil out the primary.
the reasoning was the primary chain was always very dry.

so my plan was, because there's no drip feed from the oil pump, fix the primary, new clutch plates, and then add some primary oil, just enough that the ring gear could catch it and fling oil to the chain to keep it lubed.

thing is now, on heavy load, for example, doing 60 and then opening up more, or even going up very steep hills, the damn thing slips and the revs start screaming at me...

I thought would have been alright, dry plates, bit of oil just for a change.. but sounds like the oil might have got to the plates...

What are my options here? I don't think its clutch adjustment, I have adjusted plenty of them and on my 76 (open belt) it works perfectly fine with the adjustments I usually do.
So.... can I save the existing plates? soak them in something? brake cleaner? rough them up?

Get shot of them and get wet plates? wet plates ok with just enough oil for the ring gear to catch...?

what is your advice on this one?

thanks!
JP
Clean your plates thoroughly and try automatic transmission fluid. It lubricates the primary chain just fine and if the plates get wet they don't gum up and generally handle it much better. I'm running ATF in my '68 shovel with no slipping.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for that.
I'll try it dry first, see what happens, then try atf instead of the harley primary oil.

It's quite annoying this is happening.
the slipping was happening before, but when I took it all part I found the basket had grease - derived from a blown support bearing on the inner primary. So I fixed all that, new bearing, all cleaned up nicely, new frictions, new steels, primary nicely repaired.... thinking this will get all nice and fixed, ready for the rides in the summer.

How wrong was I. I don't even ride the 68 that much, only take it out when my little girl goes out with me, but still, I like to have things working properly. very disappointed with the slipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts