Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch on my Panhead would not stay in adjustment.....so I finally got around to taking it apart. The adjusting screw is all ate up on the end...so I am assuming that is why it was coming out of adj.....but my question is.....Why is it ate up? Does this happen with old age? Or is this perhaps a symptom of another problem?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
big_al said:
My clutch on my Panhead would not stay in adjustment.....so I finally got around to taking it apart. The adjusting screw is all ate up on the end...so I am assuming that is why it was coming out of adj.....but my question is.....Why is it ate up? Does this happen with old age? Or is this perhaps a symptom of another problem?
Check your throwout bearing,make sure it turns freely without any binding.

·
Registered
208 Posts
the hardening on your push rod is also probably wasted, most possible becasue your throwout bearing as the above post said.
make sure you replace the adjuster and the rod and possibly the bearing, depending if you have the early big one or the small roller one.
small one, replace it
bigger one only if it feels bad, those fuckers, as long as they get lots of lube work real well.

big_al said:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Make sure your push rod isn't in a bind and your throwout bearing's ok. The early style throw out bearings are a lot heavier duty than the late ones. They seem to hold up a little better, especially with a suicide clutch. Many moons ago, I had the same problem you're having. The pushrod was spinning because I ran the clutch hub nut down with an air impact and it collapsed the tapered shaft enough to drag on the pushrod.
You can also get a pushrod adjusting screw that has a ball bearing in the end of it. It's kind of a bandaid fix, but it helps.
Larry T

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a million

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! First I had to take all the brake linkage off and then the pipes....and I am thinking, "I hope this is worth it..." When I got the cover off.....OMG there was NO bearing at all, everything was toast inside there.....that shit must have disintegrated!!!! I got a kit and am replaceing everything....thanks for keeping from a putting a band-aid on a broken leg.....(metaphore) You saved me a lot of grief, glad I asked!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
big_al said:
Thanks! First I had to take all the brake linkage off and then the pipes....and I am thinking, "I hope this is worth it..." When I got the cover off.....OMG there was NO bearing at all, everything was toast inside there.....that shit must have disintegrated!!!! I got a kit and am replaceing everything....thanks for keeping from a putting a band-aid on a broken leg.....(metaphore) You saved me a lot of grief, glad I asked!!
I had the same thing happen to me, I was runnin a late style bearing and it also disintegrated. Bad thing was it all went through my transmission. Luckily when it let go I could not ride it and was close to home. I took the tranny apart and cleaned it thourghly as the shit went everywher inside but did'nt hurt anything. May not have been necessary to remove it and take it apart but I wasn't gunna take the chance of killin the tranny.
just my 2c
FED

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am gonna just flush it real good.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts