Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ironhead has been sitting all winter and i went to go start it the other day and it seems as if my clutch plates are stuck together. any suggestions on how to get them unstuck without the last resort of taking the primary off?

·
Registered
212 Posts
My ironhead has been sitting all winter and i went to go start it the other day and it seems as if my clutch plates are stuck together. any suggestions on how to get them unstuck without the last resort of taking the primary off?
Had this happen to me once with an old shovelhead years ago, put it in neutral and start it, get it rolling pretty good and pop it into gear.
Get the revs up pretty good while still rolling and squeeze clutch, might have to keep jamming some gears till it breaks loose.
Good luck!

·
Registered
380 Posts
i also recommend that you dont let your bike sit all winter with out starting it young man. also dont keep the damn thing outside so long that might also help with you brakes hahahaha. if you need help this weekend though get ahold of me and i will come up let me know if tim is coming as well.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
After blowing the countershaft out of my BSA doing this, I'd never do it again.

I fully realize that HD cases are likely stronger, but an ironhead countershaft boss is still a weak area and they're not making any more cases that I know of.

Take it apart and clean them.

Jason

The ventilation problem I got as a result of trying to unstick them by dropping into gear while the motor was running:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ouch! ill try to get them unstuck without doing that...

hopefully tim is hopefully coming up saturday, its gonna be the nicest day without a chance of rain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it also seems that im not getting any power to my starter. all my lights work and the connections are good. possible relay switch?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You might check to make sure the motor oil hasn't wet sumped and then bypassed the one way valve into the primary.
I wouldn't mention it, but I've had a couple of customers bring their Sportsters in because of stuck clutches and this had happened.
Larry T

·
Registered
380 Posts
thats interesting larry i hadnt even thought of something like that happening thanks for helping me learn as well.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

I fully realize that HD cases are likely stronger, but an ironhead countershaft boss is still a weak area and they're not making any more cases that I know of.

Jason

The ventilation problem I got as a result of trying to unstick them by dropping into gear while the motor was running:

Oh god Jesus Christ holy moly. You scared the hell out of me with this one. This could have been me!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its got a full charge, power from the battery to the positive on the starter. relay is good. just took the start switch apart, and its not that. tapped the starter with a hammer while trying to start it and nothing. idk what is going on, but its very frustrating.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Jason

Please help by satisfying my curiosty---was the bike rolling in motion say like down a hill with the motor running when you popped into gear or--- was the bike sitting still with motor running??

·
Registered
252 Posts
Please help by satisfying my curiosty---was the bike rolling in motion say like down a hill with the motor running when you popped into gear or--- was the bike sitting still with motor running??
I've got money on which choice - and it's NOT the "rolling downhill" one...

Cosmo

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
I had the same wonder going on....

By synchronizing the vehicle speed and speed of the motor will allow you to drop into gear without raking the gears engagement dogs very much...If any at all.

Seasoned Over the Road Truckers only use the clutch for Take Offs and Stops....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Was running at idle on the sidewalk in front of my shop. Motor warmed up a few minutes while I put my helmet on.

Skipped off a few times when I tried to drop it into gear.

Then it caught.

Still ran fine. I had no idea anything even happened until I released the clutch and it didn't go anywhere. Turned around to look at my buddy to see a look of HORROR on his face. We were just going out for an evening ride.

Turned into a three year saga.

I keep taking lessons from these old machines. And I keep learning.

I'll unstick them by taking them apart from now on and fix the root cause. If the plates are beat, they're not worth breaking something over.

Jason

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not familiar with Harley chain cases, but on Triumphs and Nortons I run Automatic Transmission Fluid in the case. It's thin enough that the clutch plates don't stick as readily and if they do, easy to separate.

I know racers who run ATF in their chain-cases and the primary chain holds up well. The clutch doesn't need any lubricant.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts