Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some issues with my clutch.

In a nutshell, the bike will start fine, has no grinding issues with the gears. The clutch plates are free (to my knowlege) I can pull my clutch in, and the kicker will run through freely, as I let the clutch lever go, I can feel tension begin and eventually kick the bike over and start it. Okay, sounds dandy.

When I crank the bike up, and pull the clutch lever in. The second I shift into 1st, the bike jolts foward a little bit and dies. However I can ride the bike if I get a running start and shift into 1st, but when I pull the clutch and come to a stop, the bike dies.

What gives? Should I use ATF in my primary? I adjusted the primary nut/screw to factory specs using my manual and my Four Aces dvd for help too, along with adjusting my cable. Can anyone give imput on this? Thanks alot for answering my stupid questions.
-Charlie

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sounds like the plates aren't releasing properly or that there is not enough lift at the clutch pressure plate. Make sure you don't have too much free play in the cable.
If you've been using automotive oil in the primary, that can cause the clutch to drag. ATF is better. Any oil made for cars is going to have additives that will negatively affect your clutch. Use motorcycle oil or ATF.
You might want to pull the primary cover and check the adjustment of the springs, check that the pressure plate lifts evenly (pull in clutch, look down at pressure plate and slowly kick depress the kick starter while observing run of pressure plate).
You can also disassemble the clutch and check that the inner plates a flat and not warped. If the outer plates smell bad, time for new plates. (It may be time for new plates anyway.)

The Triumph clutch is pretty simple, set it up properly and it works.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That video is great. Just what I thought, went outside and took my primary off after losing sleep over this, clutch basket has at LEAST 1/4" of wobble in it as it spins. That's gotta be what's going on here. I'ma tighten that up and add ATF like I should have. Thanks for the imput guys (again!)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
That video is great. Just what I thought, went outside and took my primary off after losing sleep over this, clutch basket has at LEAST 1/4" of wobble in it as it spins. That's gotta be what's going on here. I'ma tighten that up and add ATF like I should have. Thanks for the imput guys (again!)
you can ride it without the primary cover on up and down the road to see if it works good , check your wobble and spring adjustment, ect. It wont hurt it. Then put it back on and use atf.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tuned the wobble out of my clutch and it was a little better but still having the same issues. I took the clutch apart today and a few plates were sticking. I cleaned up my steel plates, soaked them in parts cleaner, brushed and got all the burrs off. I'm soaking my carbon plates right now in ATF and will put it back together in a couple hours. I'll give another update tonight. Also the springs were a little gunky so I pretty much just cleaned everything up like new, and got a rag and cleaned out my basket. Before I assemble everything I'll dab some ATF inside the basket too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like the plates aren't releasing properly or that there is not enough lift at the clutch pressure plate. Make sure you don't have too much free play in the cable.
If you've been using automotive oil in the primary, that can cause the clutch to drag. ATF is better. Any oil made for cars is going to have additives that will negatively affect your clutch. Use motorcycle oil or ATF.
You might want to pull the primary cover and check the adjustment of the springs, check that the pressure plate lifts evenly (pull in clutch, look down at pressure plate and slowly kick depress the kick starter while observing run of pressure plate).
You can also disassemble the clutch and check that the inner plates a flat and not warped. If the outer plates smell bad, time for new plates. (It may be time for new plates anyway.)

The Triumph clutch is pretty simple, set it up properly and it works.
+1 , the clutch should only be crunchy for the first time you shift into first gear on a cold morning.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so I'm late with an update I know. Took my clutch apart and sorted out all my plates, also took my spare clutch plate set and looked through those for some better plates. Soaked and cleaned everything like new and put it back together yesterday morning, adjusted the pushrod to factory settings and now everything works damn near perfect. Thanks again for the responses everyone, I'ma roll it like this until they act up again and probably buy some new plates after. But for now, it works awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.