Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glenn Curtiss was a motorcycle builder before he got into aircraft. One of his inovations was the twist grip throttle. Does anybody know of some of his other motorcycle firsts?

Ago

·
Registered
821 Posts
He was the first to build an 8 cylinder motorcycle engine. In fact, he held the land speed record at Ormand Beach Fla. with his V-8 bike in the early 1900s.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i dont know if they still have it at the museum or not, but they had a display for don cole, he was also a motorcycling legend in this area. ive been meaning to get down there.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Glenn Curtiss ran 137+ at Daytona with the V8 powered bike. Shaft drive open bevel gear. Brave man.

By weslake at 2010-03-21

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not much to add, sorry to say, except that I just rode up to the Curtiss Museum on my 66 Tr6 and took some pics of his bikes. I'll post up as soon as I get to a computer. You could get lost in there for a while -- looking at just one bike.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i dont know if they still have it at the museum or not, but they had a display for don cole, he was also a motorcycling legend in this area. ive been meaning to get down there.
It was there when I went 2 years ago. I think this was his bike. There was an article about Don Cole in the local newspaper 10 or 15 years ago at least.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Museum is awesome in my opinion. He had accomplished an incredible amount of stuff in his time. I am not certain of other firsts but I have heard it said that he flew a plane that he built longer and farther than the Wright Brothers did even before they did. I believe that the Wright brothers knew that and disliked Glen Curtis for it but the Wright brothers got all the hype first. Lots of planes, engines and motorcycles. I believe he had designed and built some military aircraft engines. I live close by and ride the area often so I visit that museum likely every 2 or 3 years There is a lot of good riding around in Hammondsport at this time of year and you can stop at a ton of wineries to keep her on the back happy and full, although she may enjoy the museum also, mine does.

Not like I knew him or anything but as far as Don Cole, He was a bit of a legend around here and he had helped me out a couple times on a Sunday(his barn was just a maze of halls, doorways,and parts from what I remember and he knew where everything was) many years ago when you couldn't just stop anywhere to buy random chrome trinkets to make your shit shiny. And the last time I was at the museum there was still display about him with a couple of his bikes, riding stuff and photos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was there when I went 2 years ago. I think this was his bike. There was an article about Don Cole in the local newspaper 10 or 15 years ago at least.
Yes, you're correct. Don Cole from Port Gibson was a legend in the motorcycle community as one of the founders of the Wayne County Motorcycle Club back in the 30's. I believe it is the oldest club in the country and he was also one of the original members of the American Motorcycle Association (AMA).

You can see a couple of his Indians at the Glenn Curtiss Museum along with artifacts from his shop that he worked in til his 100 birthday. If anyone attended his 100th birthday party in Port Gibson, please write a note. It was a very "special day" to remember. regards, John Guchone

·
Registered
83 Posts
I read somewhere that Curtiss Auto-bi motorcycles were the first to arrive in Japan. They adopted the name Auto-bi, and now オートバイ (otobai) is a Japanese word for motorcycle.

·
Registered
325 Posts
How good is the replica, and who built it?
The replica in Hammondsport is pretty good:

The sign in front of the bike doesn't say who made this one, and there's not enough resolution in my photos to see what the other sign by the front wheel says.

And the museum is definitely worth going to... airplanes, carriages, cars, machine guns, motorcycles... lots of great stuff in there. There's a few more photos in my Photobucket album here: http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/StarWolve/Motorcycle Events/2011 Whiskey Run/?start=all

However, I would REALLY recommend checking out this museum in person if you get the chance.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Folks,

I haven't a clue about what that carbureter on the replica, or original, may be,
but its a lot bigger than a 'Contadina'!

Presuming the can is the floatbowl, it alone places it far ahead of its time, compared to oversized bowls upon racers thirty or forty years later.

....Cotten

1 - 20 of 24 Posts