Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is a good clearance between the rear tire and fender on a rigid? I want a nice close fit without any interferance issues. Dont know yet where I am gonna run the tail light so I also want to factor in some room for wiring. This will be on a rigid with a pan or shovel, 150 rear, dont really ever do any burnouts or real high speeds so dont know if tire "grow" is gonna be a big deal??? thanks-

·
Registered
917 Posts
Depends on the tire.

From what I have seen, the Metzeler has the least growth, with Avon Venoms growing a bit more.
We have mounted fenders down to 3/8" on Metzelers.

"Old school" tires grow a lot more...just ask Scorcher!;)

My personal rule of thumb, the taller the sidewall, the more growth at speed.

My .02.

G.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Trent said:
Just set it up using a length of 530 chain (a little less than 1/2") I have run Avons with less and Metzelers with alot less.
does this measurement go for avon SMs also?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
my avon venom grew on a nice hot day at about 70mph just enough to touch the fender some fat ass sat on and bent just enough to touch...and total my bike.

long story short, make sure ya dont overlook it. and make sure its the same the whole length of the fender, and account for bolts etc.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
on an old bike i had with a nice ghost flame job, someone mustve leaned on my front fender enough to get it close to the tire. after a long day on the highway, i noticed that the tire rubbed the underside of the fender long enough to heat the metal so much that it boiled the paint right off of a big part of the custom paint.

serves me right for running a front fender.;)

·
Registered
917 Posts
JEB said:
Hey hey HEY, what did I miss???? Did you say "former"? I think you said "former"?
Yeah...
Some kid in Denver is pissing off his ex-girlfriend with it now.:(
I got another one in me...you'll see.:cool:

G.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
G Griffin said:
Yeah...
Some kid in Denver is pissing off his ex-girlfriend with it now.:(
I got another one in me...you'll see.:cool:

G.
Dame G, I was hoping to see it at the round-up. Let's see the new project.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had it at last years Roundup...barely.

Sold it about a month before this years'.

There's a long, depressing story about the new bike, but it will be here soon, I hope.

I'll post pics as soon as I can...

G.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts