Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I checked searched past posts and didn't find anything I could use. I am rebuilding an old motor and the head is way filthy. It went into a parts washer and had little result. I don't have anything against elbow grease but it has fins so I can't really get in there to clean. Soda blasting is pretty expensive, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
bead blasting is pretty cheap. If you want to go a little more cheap theres always the can of degreaser and a scrub brush :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Easy-Off oven cleaner.......Muriatic acid works well too to get the carbon deposits off.....with the oven cleaner,you just wash it all off in water safely after leaving the stuff set on the head for about an hour or two.......I use Easy Off to spray down the entire engine compartment when doin a resto or whatever on cars.......takes off all the grease and oil and loose paint too.......have used it once on an aluminum head with good results

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks for all the advice everybody. I will try the different ways in order from cheapest to most expensive until something works. Everything but the dish washer, that might make for a pissed off room mate. :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hey White Devil,You didn't say if the heads are aluminum or not but if they are here's a tip.I've had good luck with plain old Crest toothpaste.Use the paste type with an old toothbrush (not the roommates).It has just enough abrasive to it to clean cast aluminum right up.Hope this helps,Frosty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts