Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a CX500 that I'm starting as a cafe build.

I'm looking for a classic style tire, like a Firestone or Coker, that still performs well.

I love the look of the Firestone Deluxe Champion tires, but I've been told they can get pretty squirrely in wet and grooved conditions.

Is there a tire out there that has that vintage/classic look that still performs well?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
If you love that look, then find two guys in matching shirts to hug.

Seriously though, I've seen instances where the tread came loose on the Deluxe Firestones. There are plenty of vintage-style tires out there, but none are really high performance tires in the sense of canyon-carving. Depending on what size wheel you're planning on running maybe check out a set of Dunlop K81s.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
i love those firestones deluxes
avon MK 2 are gooed too

but the shinko's ....i stopped using them
had some nasty wipe outs (almost) on wet and slipery railroad tracks *whe call them {tramrails} like a trolly ?!

and also on the white pedestrian crossing places ....

it all depends on how fast you wanna go ,i gues
for my 45" they are great !!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't plan on pushing the bike or racing it. It's really just a commuter for me in the city with the occasional out of state camping trip and what not.

I just don't want to have to worry about breaking traction over things like crosswalks. There are a lot of those in the city...

·
Registered
588 Posts
These:

or these:

I have been pricing tires recently and noticed that the Cheng Shin (I know) is half the price of the Avon as far as the straight rib and i cant seem to notice any real differences besides brand. The pattern seems almost identical. The Cheng Shin currently on my bike has the straight rib pattern. The price i got for the NEW Cheng Shin in a 3.25/3.60-19 was $60 while the Avon Speedmaster was $120. Just a thought. I know a lot of guys aren't fond of Cheng Shin but they still have the classic look without all the $$$. Any opinions on the Cheng shin? My front has very little miles on it but needs replacing because the rubber is rock hard from sitting for years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been pricing tires recently and noticed that the Cheng Shin (I know) is half the price of the Avon as far as the straight rib and i cant seem to notice any real differences besides brand. The pattern seems almost identical. The Cheng Shin currently on my bike has the straight rib pattern. The price i got for the NEW Cheng Shin in a 3.25/3.60-19 was $60 while the Avon Speedmaster was $120. Just a thought. I know a lot of guys aren't fond of Cheng Shin but they still have the classic look without all the $$$. Any opinions on the Cheng shin? My front has very little miles on it but needs replacing because the rubber is rock hard from sitting for years.
With just a quick google search I can find Avon's in those sizes in the $80 range.

Are the tire compounds the same? If there is any legitimacy to people not liking the Cheng Shin tires, +$20 a tire for the Avon's really isn't much.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Yeah, they may not look the same, but it's more about quality than anything. I'm not about to save $20 on some el cheapo tire just to have it blow out on me riding 80 mph down the interstate.

...and yes, those are the Avons I'm talking about.

·
Registered
588 Posts
With just a quick google search I can find Avon's in those sizes in the $80 range.

Are the tire compounds the same? If there is any legitimacy to people not liking the Cheng Shin tires, +$20 a tire for the Avon's really isn't much.
I agree but i didnt do any internet research yet. I have a credit with a bike shop and have been using them for ordering so they are probably charging me retail.

I know Duro makes a front straight rib too that is a HF317. As far as rears go, im not gonna be much help because i havent found one either that i like. My guy can't get Firestones or Cokers. Why i dont know but whatever.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is a newb question (I've only owned a bike for a week) but why run a different rear tire from the front? Why not run those Speedmasters front and rear?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Last Winter a number of guys that use Shinko's on their bikes reported all sorts of problems with them . Most were guys that ride their bikes over distance and in any weather . No accidents that I'm aware of but several had enough of a scare to change them over to something else . I really like the look of the Shinko's and for dry weather riding people seem to have alot of great things to say about them

Cheng Shins have a bad rep out here and it's mostly deserved . Tyres loosing grip in the wet when I really needed it caused me to drop 2 bikes and both were Cheng's . Being cheap cost me time & money to repair both bikes that I didn;t have at the time . Personally I'd never fit another one on a bike of mine .

These days I only put Avons on the rolling chassis kits I sell and there have been no complaints to date . I'd rather pay the extra few bucks then go sliding down the road .

·
Registered
69 Posts
All the Cheng Shins I've used have been hard as rocks - no grip. When I got spendy for me (more than $100) the avons felt like a whole different league. I wasn't afraid to turn anymore. Wonder what a real tire rides like?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Best would be to talk to a guy that actually races in vintage bike series.
Any of them on here?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Best would be to talk to a guy that actually races in vintage bike series.
Any of them on here?
He said he's actually not talking about racing, just regular street riding.

To answer his question, yes the tread is different from front to rear on the Avon tires in differing size (i.e. 21" front and 16" rear), but they're marked Speedmaster. If you're using the same size wheels front and rear, you can match tread patterns as long as they're for front rear or you follow the guidelines for running a front tire on the rear or vice versa (typically mount backwards).

There is a lot of info on this board...dig deep and you'll find answers to most of your questions.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts