Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get everyones thoughts on chroming knuckleheads cylinders and heads....I am at that point of where i have my cases polished super nice and heard that retaining heat in the cast iron is not good for it but know a old timer that has his done and rides it all over and no issues...Let me know what you guys think...
THanks
Casey

·
Registered
748 Posts
No experience with a knuck but I have a BSA A65 with chromed barrels on it with no problems. The main reason people say it causes heat retention problems is because there's slightly less surface area with the smooth finish and a little bit more mass to cool down. I say go for it!

G

·

·
Registered
710 Posts
I spoke with Brown's Plating about doing a set of sporty heads and barrels.. Prices are reasonable for the amount of work involved. I wanted to chrome my cases....Way too much $$$!

·
Registered
992 Posts
how often does chrome fall off aluminium ? where ever I parked , used to find patches of oil and chrome chips!

chrome Knuck = jesus gotta see this , will it clash with the rocker boxes?

.....or the chrome helmet

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have polished cases, and had my barrels and heads powdercoated argent silver. I like the look. I'd love to see the chrome jugs.

The only downfall to the chrome is the day it starts to pit n peel.

Sixball

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have polished cases, and had my barrels and heads powdercoated argent silver. I like the look. I'd love to see the chrome jugs.

The only downfall to the chrome is the day it starts to pit n peel.

Sixball
I agree, the peeling off the porous jugs and heads would worry me more than heat retention. Chrome likes smooth surfaces better and the heat with the expansion and contraction would likely end up with some serious flakes of chrome.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I still live by a old saying, "Chrome don't get you home". And in this case, since it is not my ride, it is not my decision to do, or not do. But anytime I make a choice about beauty of the eye, or the function, I choose function every time. With the heat having a chance to retain in the motor, I would choose wrinkle paint, to increase the surface area, and better heat dissapation. But then, that is me, and my opinion is mine. Good luck, either way.

G

·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.