Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i found a new chrome shop in elizebethton, tn. R-d chrome
and they sure do good work, get all the nooks & crannys and do a perfect polish job but man are they slow. You fellas dealin with the same thing ? This is costing me a whole riding season with my old pan reserection.
Bob

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Bob, Chrome is a tough job. I have a local guy that does what I need but yes, he's a bit slow. I get him fired up as we do welding work for him but it does take time. A lot of labor, a lot of consumables cost, a lot of space, and a lot of chemical/zoning, EPA hoops to dance with. It often results in delays if is coupled with badly organized management of the daily routine. I'm not really good at that stuff in my business but if I were a chromer I would downright SUCK too. Waiting 6-8 weeks at the height of the summer is not unheard of. I've dealt with 4 chrome shops over the last 10 years and they are all the same. If he's giving you a good product and you are happy with the cost you are doing ok. Remember- good, fast, cheap. Pick 2. That applies here.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A couple weeks ago, I decided to try Brown's Plating for a couple black triumph rear hubs I needed chromed. They had them back to me in week including shipping time both ways. They called me twice during the job to keep me up to date. Surprised the hell out of me. Using them from now on.

Price was reasonable too, a little over $100 each, given the quick turnaround. According to their website's faq, their quickest turnaround is during the summer months. Go figure.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I worked in a plating shop in the 70s. It takes about a week to do a quality "show" chrome job if you have adequate manpower and everything is working great.
Hank

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
A week is fast. That's great. Manpower is the answer. Good equipment helps too. Get backed up and it takes a lot of effort to catch up. I have gotten pieces back within a day from my guy though when I have his stuff in my shop though. :cool::D

·
Registered
710 Posts
45 days is average. Chrome is a mother. I have a lot of stuff chromed, and it's difficult to find the right guys. if it's not the time it's poor polish or either not enough copper or too much. Then there's cost. my guy now is American plating in centralia or show chrome in Seattle. Don is great and his turnaround is nice 10- 15 working days usually.I joke that my parts fit better after I get them back.... Fortunately I've never had a shop go past the pick up date given but yeah I've waited 2 months for chrome but I've also waited 4 months for paint :0

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a guy I trade parts for chroming to. If he badly needs something I can get him to chrome my stuff in a week, otherwise it takes a while. Here in CA, most local chromers have been regulated into doing shoddy work. If you find someone who does good work, you stick with him, and hope he stays good!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I just received a few Parts for my 66 Sportster from BROWN's, OMG...Yes the Price is absolutely Insane but I have never seen Chrome like this, the part looks like its Wet, it is Super Thick, I am Black Powdering most other parts so I went for Browns on the stand out parts to mix it up, Thanks Ross FDNY for suggesting now the rest of my Parts Look like Crap!
Added Note: even a poor chrome job today is expensive, might as well be Happy..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Semi related - a friend of mine just had his frame and exhaust done @ Specialized Coatings in Huntington Beach, Ca. He had their Hi-Temp Ceramic Chromex™ treatment done and just showed it to me over Skype.

This stuff looks amazing in the video call.

His turnaround time was 2 weeks with High Polish and it's apparently 4 mil thickness but feels super quality. He restores and builds show bikes and cars (vintage) and says he's never going back to chrome, from now on it's Chromex.

Hope it's the right call - I'll be checking out the parts in two weeks and I'll let you know how it stacks up - but for time and quality (if it is in fact the case) that might be a solid options for folks in this thread.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I think the reason chrome shops are probably slow, is because they're all busy as shit. And I'm guessing they're all busy because there are few of them due to regulations regarding some really toxic chemicals.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just got my pan head lifter blocks done and there stunning but they let chrome plating get into where the lifter goes up and down. i know there gonna say it dont matter if a little gets in there but it does, I,am not going to loose a new engine because of this ! there going to have to strip them and re-do them and plug them before plateing like i told them to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.