Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, let me preface this by saying that i have absolutely zero formal training in sheetmetal fabrication and this is the first time i have ever attempted anything like this, but i have seen every episode of american chopper at least 3 times. i think that counts for something.

so i puleld this suzuki out of the trash (literally) some time ago, and i always had a thing for the tank, but it was just too bulbous for my taste. i've been staring at it and contemplating for a couple of months and realized that the tail needed to be narrowed to please me...what to do?? CHOP IT!!!!
here's what i started with. i like the raised deal on top and the contours up front...
pretty freaking sexy...

see what a chunky monkey she be...

so i stared at it again for a few hours wondering where to cut it..i asked myself...'what would billy lane do??' then i decided that taking the simple approach was a better idea....i cut out the bottom and tunnel, leaving the bead around the bottom for structural integrity, i'll trim that away when its time to make a tunnel and bottom.
i followed the crease around the side panel with a cut off wheel so as to disturb as little of the sheet metal as possible ....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
okay, so now what?? how do i know where to cut so that everything falls in like a sam barris masterpiece?? i turned the thing over and just pulled the side panel in (good thing i decided to cut where i did) to where i wanted it and scribed a line along the edge...man i hope this works out...

i grabbed the old shears and went to town...hey wait a minute...this contour looks kinda off...i hope i didnt mess this up...no, i'm pretty sure i saw jesse make a shape like this on motorcycle mania 2...heres the tank sans a sliver...

good thing i trusted jesse..it worked and everything fits...
now just tack the thing and stand back and admire my mastery...

its like magic...its all skinny on one side...

hopefully i'll get a chance to get the other side cut and tacked tomorrow...
then part two...the tunnel of doom....

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
alteredpilot said:
i have ever attempted anything like this, but i have seen every episode of american chopper at least 3 times. i think that counts for something.
Yes, That you have very bad taste. The sad thing is Im sure you could do anything that they could. Good luck--I think you could make it even narrower and it would be a neat little tank. Thats just my 2 cents though. Make it how you want it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I liked it better before...no just kidding.I like the new shape...Watching with interest on the tunnel.I just got a tank from a late model FLHP that i want to cut up.Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hope you only watch American chopper for the humor. Actually, I watched it as a confidence booster---I figure if those stooges can do it I sure can. (though it would be nice to have an unlimited tool budget and suckers lined up to buy whatever turd I decide to call a "chopper". Back to the topic-- tank looks good. Looks like you thought out your cut lines well. Hope you washed it out good first, even old tanks have been known to go boom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts