Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. So I'm beginning my first bike build. I have a 72 triumph OIF and I want to put a hardtail on it. Im looking for the bike to finish off with a stance similar to the pic below. I want the seat to sit below the height of the rear wheel. I'd like to lower the front fork to match the drop in the rear. Im thinking maybe 4" stretch and 3" drop. Im just not sure how to order the frame and end up with the right result. I hate to get it wrong.

Also is it possible to get a 21" front rim and lace it up to my current hub. So I can keep my fork and brake?
Thanks,Mike
Wheel Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Stretch is cool
But chain whip and vibration is a major factor depends how you ride and where
I won’t be stretching another unit triumph

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Buchanan's can handle all your rewheeling queries and sell you all the (top-quality) bits and pieces needed ... and/or do the work for you. Go here:

A '72, hm. Is your front hub set up for a disc brake, or did some '72s have the last of the '71-style drum brakes? Purely & strictly as a matter of personal taste, I would be a bit reluctant to put money into beautifying that final drum. Discs are good, and good looking; the '68-'70 TLS drum works VERY good, and I think it's real pretty; but to me the '71-type drum neither works nor looks particularly good.

None of my business, of course, and who asked me anyway?

James rats

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buchanan's can handle all your rewheeling queries and sell you all the (top-quality) bits and pieces needed ... and/or do the work for you. Go here:

A '72, hm. Is your front hub set up for a disc brake, or did some '72s have the last of the '71-style drum brakes? Purely & strictly as a matter of personal taste, I would be a bit reluctant to put money into beautifying that final drum. Discs are good, and good looking; the '68-'70 TLS drum works VERY good, and I think it's real pretty; but to me the '71-type drum neither works nor looks particularly good.

None of my business, of course, and who asked me anyway?

James rats
My '72 has the undesirable drum up front. My fork wont work for a disc. I dont have bosses for the caliper to bolt to anything. If I could find a springer or girder with a caliper mount, I would for sure go with a disc.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
My '72 has the undesirable drum up front. My fork wont work for a disc. I dont have bosses for the caliper to bolt to anything. If I could find a springer or girder with a caliper mount, I would for sure go with a disc.
The '72 TLS brake is in my opinion very good looking. The aftermarket sells longer linkage arms which make that brake perform as good as a 68-70 TLS drum. The OIF disc brake front ends are wider than the drum OIF drum front ends and disc brakes are all ugly anyways.
I don't know if David Byrd is still in business but he was the extended, lowered hardtail king churning them out by the truckload. He even made a hardtail that replaced the OIF tube section of the frame entirely.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Here's my two cents...don't drop it more than 2" you still need enough clearance to go around corners and clear speed bumps. Stretch shouldn't exceed two or maybe three inches, anything more and you're looking at chain whip and the whole look of the machine will be out of whack (squat in front and too long in back). Want a really nice looking bike with a well ballanced stance, go for the whole frame, not just a hard tail, it really is worth the money...especially with an OIF bike.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Here's my two cents...don't drop it more than 2" you still need enough clearance to go around corners and clear speed bumps. Stretch shouldn't exceed two or maybe three inches, anything more and you're looking at chain whip and the whole look of the machine will be out of whack (squat in front and too long in back). Want a really nice looking bike with a well ballanced stance, go for the whole frame, not just a hard tail, it really is worth the money...especially with an OIF bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ll second Buchanan’s for wheels/spokes. They make spokes in house and will build you sell you or help you with anything you need. I was able to get spokes from them to lace a gsxr hub to a cb750. Quality spokes to boot

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I’ll second Buchanan’s for wheels/spokes. They make spokes in house and will build you sell you or help you with anything you need. I was able to get spokes from them to lace a gsxr hub to a cb750. Quality spokes to boot
Unfortunately Buchanan's now only concentrates on Stainless Spokes and discontinued their line of chrome spokes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts