Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
why the 200 dollar difference between right and left side car mount.

as much as side cars cost, it is almost worth it for that.

but I agree with the mixed feelings. For some reason I wouldn't feel as bad buying one of the Urals as I would buying a chinese one.

·
Banned
648 Posts
My initial reaction is that it was one more turd in a long line of Chinese shitpile knock-offs like ZingFu scooters and Yerf Dog disposable go karts.

Then I read this, and knew in my heart that I need one:

You are reminiscence, you are unique, you are romantic , you are collector, HERE WE ARE!. .NOW YOU CAN GIVE YOUR LOVER A RIDE! [\quote]

-Bill

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
greggski said:
They are known to have certain reliablity issues, Build quality can be so-so. I've known a few people who have had them. Some of the bikes are pretty good. It seems it can be a crap shoot.

Gregg
i don't know about these but other chinese bikes i've been around had real issues with materials, quality control and fit. things like fuel lines falling apart, rubber parts in general just disintigrating. different harnesses or components on the same model bikes, body plastic breaking easily etc etc.
a good friend here has a pioneer dealership and he sells a bike called a revel that is a bolt for bolt copy of a honda rebel. the parts will even interchange between them. but a rebel gas tank is close to $400, a "revel" gas tank is like $80.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i took a better look at the pictures. some of those parts look SHITTY. there's one shot that shows an overhead view of the triple tree with porosity everywhere. the pattern for that part must be pretty worn out. i hope the one for the engine case is in better shape.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I could go on for pages about these bikes, but I will say this - that guy is a hack and most if not all of the bikes pictured are built by other chang dealers.

The newly made stuff for the most part is bad, if not worse than you could imagine. They have been making these bikes since the early sixtys. If you want to buy one check out these links for info and reputable dealers that will sell you a bike for not much more money that you can ride and is not complete shit!

A USA chang enthuisiast site -
www.changjiangunlimited.com

USA chang disscussion group -
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/thechangjiangexperience/

·
Registered
936 Posts
lilbill said:
FUCK THEM.

Honestly the cheap, knock off Chinese shit is getting out of hand. I realize people might not have a lot of liquidable money, but somethings just don't have a price. And supporting Chinese oppression and their continued conglomeration of the world economy just isn't worth it. Immediate gratification is not worth longterm survival.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Probably the same factory 1/2 of the HD parts come from ..... and all of Custom Chrome's Crap .. or worse yet V-Twin ....

Think the worst thing about any of these knockoff's ( aside political ) is that they cast off of worn out parts to start ....

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yeah the Urals are better. There is at least a theory of craftsmanship put into Urals that has increased with last few years. Its just based on old technology. Its basically like buying a WL made yesterday.

But mechnically, the chinese manufacturers are very bottom line oriented, which doesn't allow much room for craftsmanship. Nor is an ethic on craftsmanship really encouraged. (Please leave modern HD comments to another thread. :) ) Also their metal smelting and alloying technology has never developed properly. The metals are rather fragile, and prone to easy breakage. So you get a rather poor grade product.

·
Registered
179 Posts
ol_scratch said:
(Please leave modern HD comments to another thread. :) )
scratch .....
My point was only to say it's pretty fucking hard to escape Chinese crap no matter what you bike or part you buy .... Leave out the modern HD ... I think it is worse for "vintage" parts in general .... Hell I bought a part that was "American Made" last week and it had Chinese components in it ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
First off, let me say I own two Russian flathead models (M72) that were copied from the BMW R71 and first made in '41-'42. Mine both happen to be made in the late 50's. I ride one that is setup as a solo back and forth from work nearly everyday - 40 miles round trip. I am not just spewing some third person hearsay on these bikes. I dont personally own a Chang Jiang, but I know fellas that do, and have bought Chang parts both good and bad to use on my bikes.

Like I said, theres good and bad ones. The good ones were made back in the 60s-70s to military quality specs - the early ones even had surplus Russian parts on them. These bikes were made for the military, not civilians. The quality back then was better than the new Custom Chrome stuff you are bolting on your HD's........

Now a days when you buy some of these new ones that are $2500 you are more than likely getting one put together from parts made in small sheds that are really in some cases finished machined with a hammer and file. The fenders are so thin you can dent them with your finger. The castings so shitty you wonder how they hold oil.

If you really want one, there are several good builders in China. These guys will hunt down the old good military quality parts, and update other components (like German bearings in the engine). Then you can get a bike that you can use, all probably for around $5000 delivered in the US from China with all the correct paperwork.

What you don't see is that this guy on ebay is selling a 2006 bike - Can you even get this in the country? I doubt it. Its far from passing 2006 EPA and DOT standards. They probably wont let it in the country. If you do get it in you would then have to title it as a homebuilt.

The bottom line is no matter what the quality, even if you have the best parts ever made, you are buying a bike originally designed and built in the 30's. Yes, most of these parts would fit an original R71. Any of you that have had a pre-war bike of any make, or known someone who has, knows that the maintenence upkeep (wrenching) on one is alot more than a modern bike. There is just no getting around it.

Click those links I posted and do some research if your serious.

-Zach

·
Registered
936 Posts
Pure Hell said:
ol_scratch said:
(Please leave modern HD comments to another thread. :) )
scratch .....
My point was only to say it's pretty fucking hard to escape Chinese crap no matter what you bike or part you buy .... Leave out the modern HD ... I think it is worse for "vintage" parts in general .... Hell I bought a part that was "American Made" last week and it had Chinese components in it ...
No I was just putting a little humor in my comment, because people are always saying the modern HD maunfacturing has a poor work/quality ethic. Wasn't jibing at anybody, just a joke.

Unfortunately it is hard to get away from Chinese crap. My position is unless we try to keep it to a minimum, its just going to become even worse.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts